CHAPTER 18✓

Christian

He was avoiding me and it hurt. It hurt so badly that I couldn't eat anymore, it was hard to sleep, this wasn't the first time and yet somehow it hurt even more than the last.

Two days had passed since the attack and things were tense. We lost ten of our own and it was a tragedy like no other.

The funerals were sad and there was a lot of crying and wailing. There was howling and it broke my heart, add to the fact that my own mate couldn't look at me.

I understood though, weirdly enough. I knew how scared he was, of himself and of what we thought of him, I just wish he knew that we are with him, even if he doesn't want us to be.

"I don't know how I let this happen. "Claude whispered to himself and I paused by the office.

"It wasn't your fault," Ace whispered gently. "You couldn't possibly have known this would happen."

"But I should have, "Claude's coice rose." I mean, what good is a Caster who specifically deals in seeing the future, and could not see this? "

"Don't say that, you know she tried. She can't always control what she sees or when she does."

"But she created the dome to keep us safe, so we'd always know what is going to happen. " There was a sigh.

"I get you're angry, but that doesn't mean you have to start pointing fingers. You aren't a Caster, so you have no right to say that it was her fault, she already blames herself." Claude growled.

"Ace... "

"No, Claude... Talk to me when you have your head out of your ass." I jumped as Ace came out, he paused and nodded at me before storming out.

"Do you think I'm wrong? " Claude asked me. I shrugged." It's my fault. "He sighed and I stepped into the office.

"I don't think there is anyone to blame besides that Alpha." I tilted my head, "Ex-Alpha, to be more accurate."

"I just... I don't know what to think... I've failed this pack. "He turned towards the window and bowed his head.

"You didn't fail us, Alpha." I spoke to him with compassion. "This was only an eye opener to be honest." I sighed and walked over to him. "Instead of blaming yourself, how about you look at this as a way to improve the pack." I suggested. "Have us back on patrol, we can keep the forcefield up if you want but we should always have a back up plan, because obviously, magic may have its advantages but it also has disadvantages just as with us."

He met my eye, his eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"You're right... We should also start doing more background checks. "He started for his computer and my brows rose and I shrugged. I clasped a hand over his shoulder and chuckled.

"Glad to have been helpful." I made my way out just as Ace came back in with a pout. I gave him an amused look and he stuck his tongue out at me.

"I want to have sex, Claude. "I choked on air and I couldn't help but laugh out loud as Claude growled.

"I'm busy." He said and I walked faster, not wanting to hear the rest of their conversation. Funny how moments before Ace didn't even want to talk to him.

I made my way down the corridor just as the door opened at the end and Xavier stepped out only to pause as he caught sight of me. I could heart his heart racing and his scent was thicker. I felt my excitement before I could control myself, I stepped closer and paused knowing I was wrong for it. Being ignored this long made it hard to not be impulsive.