CHAPTER 1✓

16 years

Xavier Alan

He was gorgeous, his rippled muscles were a huge distraction to me and I liked it. It could be considered morally wrong to feel this way about someone I can never have, my own brother. He may not be blood related, but still, I grew up looking up to him, wanting to be like him. He was and is my hero. And that he would stay.

"Xavier, would you come out already, it's been two weeks." Danielle said softly, her voice almost pleading with me from the other side of the door. I didn't want to come out, I felt safe here in my dance studio, it calmed me, kept me from doing things I didn't want to do.

"Leave me alone,please." I said calmly, knowing she could hear me. The door jiggled but I didn't move.

"Xavier, I'm coming in." Kathryn threatened with a low growl.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," I whispered knowingly, my tone almost sing song and slowly turned away from the window and towards the door. There was a growl and a bang, the door didn't budge. I sighed knowing Danielle would figure things out. With that thought, there was a click and black mist flowed from the door and it creaked open. Danielle stood lead, arms folded and glaring.

"This is not healthy," she said and took a step into the room.

"How is dancing not healthy?" I asked and took a step in the centre of the room, the window behind me closing in on itself. I gracefully sat myself down and looked up at my sisters.

"You're always dancing, at least that's what you tell us." Kathryn said rubbing her forehead. "Xavier, would you just come out and hang out with us, we miss you." My chest felt as though it were given a squeeze.

"I can't." I averted my eyes from them, my hand reaching up instinctively to caress the pendant which hung from my neck, identical to all my siblings but differing in shape. "We can't." I could feel myself pulling away from them, hiding behind the very thing I hate. The black inked mist rose around me, enclosing me from them, from the world. I felt every molecule in my body rearrange itself as I became part of the mist, the darkness around me.

I flowed effortlessly around them and out of the room. I flowed into the hallway and down the stairs at top speed and in no time I was deep within the forest. I sat atop a large stone, the black mist flowing into my skin. I sighed and clenched my hand into the disappearing steam.

I hated it. All of it and I wished it would go away. Every last bit of it.

--------

Christian stood before me, shirtless and smirking. I glared.

"You're cute when you glare. "He stated with a sparkle in his eyes. I felt my heart skip and ignored it.

"And you're annoying." I pushed passed him. It was night time, everyone else was asleep, why wasn't he?

"It was quite the stunt you pulled earlier." He said settling on the kitchen stools. I poured myself a cup of water and stared out the window, I didn't answer him. I didn't want to. "Xavier, talk to me." He said softly and I looked down. I hated how I couldn't be what he needed from me, hated that this feeling, this excitement running through me had to be kept at bay, if not for me then for him.

The butterflies in my stomach were threatening to burst out and the hair on my skin stood. He was right behind me then and I sucked in a breathe.

"There is nothing to talk about, Christian." I whispered. His large hand touched my arm and my eyes fluttered. The sparks were there and they were intoxicating. I loved them but hated that I loved them because of how hard it made drawing lines.