PROLOGUE - Fire✓

At five years of age.

Narrator

Theodore smiled widely at the cute little baby, his gaze loving and careful as he looked at Xavier, the son of Elijah Phoebe. The boy's intriguingly violet coloured eyes were transfixed on the fire burning before him with innocent curiosity.

"Are you sure about this? I mean, he could just be a wolf, Theodore." Donovan voiced from beside him, staring cautiously at his youngest son.

"I honestly don't think so, Donovan. I know there isn't a particular age for us Caster's necessarily but, considering Elijah to be his father, I guess I expect it sooner, just like Danielle." Theodore said, his gray eyes brightened by the fire. Xavier giggled and reached out to grab the flames, Donovan leaned forward, wanting to stop him but Theodore caught his shoulder. "Don't." He said with authority which surprised Donovan all together.

Xavier reached out, the flame licking at his little palm and he giggled as the flame seemed to lean towards him. He watched, mesmerized as the flames licked at the back of his hand as he stretched out five chubby fingers. They raced up his arm and he sat back down with a squeal.

"He isn't hurting, see?" Theodore said, his voice thick with excitement as Donovan sat back down, staring at his five year old son basically control fire without noticing. Xavier looked back at them.

"Papa? What's happenin'?" He asked, his voice had a pinch of fear and Donovan felt his heart squeeze at the innocent look in his eye. Donovan felt his wolf stir as he could see more of Elijah in the boy than himself, his eyes shone with tears as his heart ached harshly, pounding against his ribcage with longing.

"It's okay, Xavier. You're doing it." Theodore said as Donovan failed to utter a single word.

"Me?" He said, his eyes wide with astonishment, fear and skepticism.

"You're just like your daddy." Donovan found himself saying loud enough for them to hear. A small smile playing on his lips.

"Daddy?" Xavier said, his brows knitting together as the flames spread until finally, his entire body was encased in a flaming body suit. He gasped and began hitting at his arms. "No, stop." He pleaded as he stood and dusted himself off, the flames only grew brighter, spreading thickly. "No, stop it! Papa, make it stop!" His eyes grew wide with panic.

"You have to be calm, the more worked up he gets, the bigger the flame." Theodore said and Donovan growled.

"You stop it for him, he's just a kid, he doesn't know what he's doing." Donovan demanded as Xavier began to cry.

"Papa," he whimpered and soon the fire was out, like a light it flashed and burned out, leaving Xavier panting and crying. He fell onto his bum and held his legs to his chest, sobbing into his knees. Donovan crouched by him and scooped his boy into his arms.

"Shh, it's ok, it's gone now." He whispered soothingly as Xavier held onto his shirt.

"Don't want to be...like daddy." He sobbed louder.

Theodore felt his heart break at the declaration, suddenly he could see it all, the darkness seeping out from the earth in thick tendrils and only one person who could stop it, only one person who had the power to bring it down, suddenly not very fond of it. Theodore turned and behind him stood eight year old Christian, his hands deep in his pockets as he stared at Xavier who sobbed.

"Is he be okay? "he asked Theodore, a certain fire burned within his brown eyes.

If you stay by him, he just might be, Theodore thought but instead gave a small smile.

"He will."

A\N
Reviewed: 21 October 2021