Chapter 13: Ignorance

I have been exhausted for awhile now. It was friday and many people were going in and out of the fast-food chain. I've taken a lot of orders and some even lost their patience waiting; getting angry and yelling because their orders were late but I managed to calm them off... in a way.

One woman started thrashing me with her foul words saying I should've been fired and though she was getting too far with her words, I ignored her for she was just a one horizontally-challenged hungry customer.

It was past 5pm in the evening and after an hour, I would have finished with my part-time job. I continued taking orders and though my face looks apathetical, people didn't seem to mind since they came into this chain in the first place to eat.

I noticed Cvan sitting casually unto the corner of the room. He was just there probably stalking, like what he normally do---he says.

The front door opened and their came Keon, walking coolly with his army jacket. Hands on his pockets. He went to the counter and ordered his food. He told me he'll wait for me and expects me to eat with him. I nodded. A good talk would do.

I've painstakingly finished my shift, changed my clothes and sat in front of Keon. I've notice Cvan's scowl in the corner of the room.

Getting the perfect position to calm my exhausted legs, I managed to figure out how to plopped myself comfortably.

"Here Jina, chicken burger for you." He handed me the chicken burger. I was suddenly disappointed. He didn't know I was fond of fries.

I started chewing the burger and Keon started sipping his softdrink. I was on my own reverie when a thought popped out of my ever-curious mind.

"You said you have a crush on me?" Keon looked up to me and nodded. "Why crush? I thought you love me?" I asked, bewildered. 

He chuckled lightly. "You said you saw a guy hugging you with the same tattoo as I have?" I nodded. "Did you see his face?" He asked, staring intently at me.

I started thinking. "Well no.." I said, unsure.

He sipped his drink. "Well, Jina. You didn't see his face. How can you be so sure that was me?"

"But your the only one I know who has that tattoo." I bit out.

"Or maybe I'm the only one you know for now." He replied, hinting like he knew a dark secret.

"So you don't love me?" I asked innocently.

He laughed and answered. "Maybe I do, Jina." He remarked gently.

"Maybe?" But he wasn't able to answer my question when his aura darkened the moment Cvan sat beside me.

"Cvan," he stressed his name with a serious tone on his voice.

"Keon." Cvan uttered casually.

"Cvan, for the love of God. Stay away from Jina. Now." He said, a deadly tone on his voice.

"No. What's wrong with me sitting here?" He shrugged his shoulders off, like he didn't care about Keon's killer aura.

"Cvan, someone might be watching us now. Please go." Keon barely whispered. His face hooded.

Cvan suddenly tensed. He wasn't able to move for a second but when he gained his senses, he abruptly went out of the door. Keon sighed heavily.

"Who is watching?" I was baffled.

Keon glanced at me; he seemed to be lost in his thoughts.

"Keon, no one is telling me anything." I blankly spoke.

Keon lifted his head. He settled his eyes outside, deep thoughts surrounding him, gluing to him.

"Jina, sometimes you have to let things take their course. Ignorance is a bliss you know?" A sad smile forming his lips.

"But I want to know." I pressed.

"Of course you do." He nodded. "But knowing can sometimes be a curse. If you find out what you badly want to know and turns out you can't take it, you can never go back to the ignorance you were once into. The truth is all yours now. And you have to accept it no matter what it was. That's why lying exist you know? For a moment, the lies could console us." He spoke gently.

"I once want to know why my mom goes home late." He started sharing. "She would always tell me she would do anything for me because that's how much she loves me but she would never tell me where she get those thousands of money since she only worked as a sales lady...turns out she works as a prostitute at night." He chuckled glumly. "I wanted so badly to just go back to the time where I don't know anything. To see my mother as my perfect role model because she looked so conservative. I never expected her to be... like that."

He locked his eyes on mine. "So Jina, you will know everything someday and if you do find out everything, do not let anger take over you okay? That might destroy you for real." He said, vaguely.

He stood up and offered me a ride. I declined for I wanted to stay longer and eat fries; also to ponder over his words and Cvan's sudden fear. I still don't know anything. When will I get the answer I so badly want to know?