55

When Max saw Minnie Mouse waiting at his front door, he felt a powerful surge of happiness he hadn't felt in so long. He ran to open the door, and when he did she blurted, "It's Bugs Bunny," and she dove into his lips, moving her hands up and down his back. He held her face with one hand and her waist with the other, closing the door behind her with his knee as he pinned her against it.
Finally she pulled away and they gasped for breath, but it was only a pause. They couldn't get enough of each other. Max couldn't even think. He was so hypnotized by Minnie's tongue he hadn't even comprehended what it meant that Bugs Bunny was the father.
He pulled away.
"What does it mean?" he asked, but by then he knew.
"Goodbye," said Minnie. She went to kiss him, but he pushed her away.
"No!" he yelled. "This isn't happening! There's no way! They're wrong!"
"They're not," she said.
"You can't leave!" He kicked the wall, making a big hole beside the window. He didn't care. He threw a wine bottle on the ground. He swung a tall lamp across the banister. Minnie's cries were distant.
"Max!" she finally screamed, bloody murder, at the top of her lungs. He stopped. He looked at her and tears fell down his cheeks. "Goodbye."
She opened the door and stepped outside. Max lunged for her, giving her one last kiss. It was warm, in the cold he'd been in. It was light in all his dark. Sweet and hopeful and so good he wanted more and more. In that moment he would rather die than let her go.
But she slipped away, and he felt as if she'd evaporated from his hands, like she'd turned to sand and escaped his embrace. He heard her car start and snapped back to reality. He wanted to chase her as she drove down the road, but he didn't. He didn't do a thing. He barely even breathed.