49

Minnie's hands shook nervously. Eight weeks had passed like hours. Truly, she wasn't ready to find the father. She was horrified.
When the doorbell rang, she braced herself, hoping it was anyone but Max Goof. When she finally willed herself to open the door, her heart nearly stopped.
Pete.
Except it wasn't the Pete she thought she knew-it was a triple-D carbon copy in Anastasia Dipbrows.
"...P...?" she stammered. She wasn't her old self. If she was, she would have heard rumours about Pete's relative visiting. Sister? Aunt? But wouldn't he have told her?
"It's me," said the thing in a shockingly deep voice.
Minnie's jaw dropped. "Oh my God," she said. "No."
"No?" Pete-or something-was confused. "Why not?"
"Oh, no, I don't mean no," she said, "I just mean...no, you know, like shut the fuck up or get out, whore."
Pete laughed. "I'm not following."
Minnie shook her head. "God, come in! Come sit down." She shut the door behind Pete and followed...Pete eagerly into the dining room.
"It's Petra now."
"Petra," said Minnie, "nice."
"Thank you. I wish Peg felt the same."
"Huh?"
"I lost my children, Minnie." A tear started forming in Petra's eye. "All because I'm like this."
Minnie put a hopefully reassuring hand on her shoulder. "Don't blame yourself," she said.
"I'm not," said Petra. "I'm only here, because, well...I'm not married now. And I know you've always had a thing for busty ladies."
Minnie forced a smile. "Well...what does it have to do with your marriage?"
"I won't feel guilty."
"You felt guilty?" Minnie felt more surprised than she should have.
"I always did," said Petra. "Every time. I did love Peg. Now...I don't." She placed a hand on Minnie's thigh. "And I'm all yours."
Minnie quickly brushed away the hand. "I can't," she said.
Petra's brows furrowed. "What? You of all people?"
"Look, it's personal." She sighed. "I'm just...in no position right now. I'm sorry."
They sat silently for a while. Then Petra stood and headed for the door. She put her hand on the knob but didn't twist it. She turned and said, "When can I come back?"
Minnie replied, "Nine months or never."