40

Minnie gasped when she heard the doorbell ring. She assumed it was Max but she was a mess, unprepared and scared and tired.
She willed herself to open the door. It was raining outside and Max stood drenched at the door with a single rose in his hands. His smile was so pure and genuine.
"Good morning," he said.
Minnie let him in, taking the rose. She watched him take his shoes off with loving eyes, astonished his interest hadn't been lost when he saw her with no makeup, giant eye bags, greasy fur and a ratty housecoat. "Thank you," she said. "Why are you here so early?"
"You looked really bad at the wedding," he said, looking her in the eyes. "I wanted to make sure you were okay."
A pang of guilt shot through Minnie's heart. It had been so many years since someone had been so kind, so sincere. She was a mouse of many lovers but none of them ever treated her like anything but a sex doll. Max Goof had a good heart, and for her to use him - she hated herself.
"That's so sweet," she mumbled, but he didn't hear.
"Are you alright?"
"I'm fine."
He smiled, but she could tell he knew she was lying. His eyes were full of knowing and sorrow and for a second she almost thought he knew her secret, just in his face.
Even though he was eighteen and she was ageless, he stood almost an entire foot taller than her. She felt safe as she looked up at him. He was so young, so naive, and so good.
She saw in him that he didn't come here for sex. He came here because he was worried, because he cared. It was such a new feeling to Minnie - to be cared for. She felt she didn't deserve it, not from him, not from anyone. She wrapped her arms around him and just hugged him, tears stinging her eyes. He hugged her back. She let them fall.
Quickly she pulled back. "Max, you have to get out," she said.
"What?"
"Max...I love you. But I'm not important. I'm horrible. I'm a lying, disgusting, awful whore, and I deserve to die. You deserve so much better. You deserve love and youth and the rest of your life to live. Please run away from me and never come back."
Max blinked. "Minnie, I..."
"No," she interrupted him.
"Minnie, it's not true. When I'm with you...I feel different. I feel important, special. You make me feel like a star. I can't...I can't leave you!"
Minnie turned away. "You have to. You're the only person who's ever made me feel like something more than an object and I don't deserve it. I deserve to be an object, Max, because I am one! I have no heart!"
Max wrapped his arms around her. "I love you," he whispered as her breathing slowed.
But she opened her arms and ran away. "You don't! You don't! Never say that ever again because it's not the truth!" she hollered, and ran around the corner.
Max heard the bathroom door slam. He lightly approached it, knocking the door softly. "Minnie?"
"Get out!"
He tried to turn the handle but it was locked. Sighing, he started to head back home. He knew it was best to leave her alone.