thirty five

I woke up and looked around at my surroundings, realizing that it wasn't my room. I ran my fingers through my hair and groaned. Suddenly, last nights events came rushing to my mind and I sat up, looking beside me but she wasn't there. I looked around her room but she was nowhere to be seen.

I pushed the sheets off of me and got up from the bed, walking out of her room. I called for her and stood in the kitchen but I didn't hear a single sound. I sighed and grabbed my phone, dialing her number. I could hear the dial tone and somewhere in the house her phone rang. Great, she had gone somewhere and left her phone in the house. Where the fuck could she go? It was like 8 in the morning.

I grabbed myself a bottle of water from the refrigerator and gulped down the contents. I had just put down the bottle on the countertop when I thought of a place she could've went to.

I walked past the living room, towards the main door and pulled my shoes on. I wasn't sure if she was gonna be there or not but it was worth a try.

I shut the door behind me, locking it in the process and walked to the elevator. I waited till it came up and quickly got in once the doors opened. I hit the button for the top floor and made my way to the stairway after getting out of the elevator. I checked the window she had once forced me to jump out of. I opened it and stuck my head out, trying to see if she was sitting there or not.

I sighed dejectedly and shut the window when I saw no one out there. I stood rooted on my spot, trying to think of some other place where she could be. I don't know why but I was getting worried. She could have gone out for a run but that seemed very unlikely.

I thought back to something she had told me when we were sitting out on that cantilever. I quickly walked up the stairs that led to the roof of the building and slowly pushed the door open once I got there.

I walked out into the open space and saw a figure sitting on the wide boundary wall. I slowly approached her and saw a pack of cigarettes next to her. I could right away tell that something was troubling her. I had noticed that she never smoked unless there was something bothering her.

I took a seat beside her and looked down at the city. It was kinda scary because we were sitting on the edge of the roof and the building was really high. There were some people walking around the streets and numerous cars were parked by the curb. I switched my gaze from the city to her and furrowed my eyebrows.

She looked lost in her thoughts and uncharacteristically serious and tense. Her eyes were set on something and she seemed to be elsewhere. Her fingers were laced together into a tight closed fist and her body was stiff.

"Hey," I softly said to catch her attention.

"Hi," her voice was rough. She didn't look like she had much sleep last night and it bothered me. I wish I could do something, anything to help her.

"How long have you been up?" I looked away from her towards the clear sky. The sun was already up and shining brightly. It had gotten a lot more warmer lately but the sun did go down quicker than usual. I figured summer was probably coming to an end soon but there was still quite some time till that happened. I was gonna savor the warm weather while it lasted.

"Been up since 6," she sighed and ran her fingers through her messy hair.

I took the pack of cigarettes from beside her and put it away, I didn't want her to smoke more than she already had. I moved closer to her and took her hand, intertwining our fingers together. She didn't seem to mind at all.

"What's bothering you, love?" I asked soothingly.

"Have you ever heard about soulmates?" she disregarded my question and I didn't mind. She was talking and I was ready to listen to her patiently. She didn't give me a chance to answer her question and continued, "I wish humans had soulmates so you wouldn't end up wasting your time on the wrong person. I think people refuse to believe in soulmates because they're afraid of not finding theirs. Even if there's no such thing as soulmates, I'm pretty sure that there's definitely something that brings the right people together. Don't you think so?" she had a faraway look on her face and was looking out at the endless sky in front of us.