Fighting Distractions - Chapter Twelve

---

---

We all watched over Derek who was now paralysed from the kanima venom. I couldn't help but laugh at him. "This is just great." Derek complained and rolled his eyes.

"We better pay a trip to Deaton." Isaac suggested. Scott and Isaac hoisted Derek into his car, and I decided to call the others to meet us at the animal clinic.

We barged through the door and to the back room where Deaton was. He was packing up, clearly getting ready to head home. "We need your help." Scott panted.

"Lie him on the table." Deaton instructed. Isaac and Scott carefully laid Derek on the steel table before everybody crowded around, waiting to hear what Deaton had to say. "Stiles explained to me when he got here before you what happened, did you happen to bring a sample of the venom?"

I nodded before Erica walked towards him and gave him a piece of bark that happened to have a sample of the venom on it. "I always had a feeling something like this would happen." He admitted and looked down at Derek.

"What do you mean?" Allison asked him and folded her arms across her chest.

He put the bark into a clip seal bag before he began to explain, "When the kanima went roaming around it left behind traces of the goo substance, or if you prefer venom. Anyone that touched the venom had a slight chance to be affected by it. You see there is a difference, from the kanima scratching your neck and touching the venom. People who were scratched didn't risk the chance of changing, compared to the people who absorbed it by touching it." He explained.

I looked around the room at everyone who looked deep in thought, I was a tad bit lost but nevertheless focused back on Deaton like I pretended I knew what was going on, "Well what happens to people that touched it?" Stiles impatiently interrupted.

Deaton put his finger up signalling for him to wait, "The venom affects the brain. So when you are scratched your body reacts by paralysing itself. People who touch the venom not only become unable to move, but the venom affects the brain, a bit like how when a werewolf bites someone it effects their body. When touched by accident, it tricks your brain into thinking it has been bitten by a werewolf."

"And since you can accept or reject the bite, depicts whether you became one of those creatures." Lydia interjects, it amazes me how her brain worked so fast.

"Correct, Lydia." He praised her.

Scott scratched his head and I could tell he was still unsure about the whole situation, "But what I don't understand is, how does their brain think it is being bitten by a werewolf if it was just absorbing venom."

"Well, if you remember when Jackson was the kanima he was stuck in that shapeshifting form, as he didn't fully transition into a werewolf. So technically he was a werewolf, but he hadn't reached his potential to break past the kanima barrier, if that makes sense. That's why the venom tricks their brain. If their body rejects it nothing happens they remain normal human beings, but if they accept it-"

"They turn into those weird half human half wolf creatures." I finished finally catching up to the main idea of the story. 

Deaton nodded, "The proper name is, Mental Wolves."

"Makes sense," Stiles replied and bobbed his head up and down understandingly.

"It affects their mental state hence the name." Deaton finally summarised. I looked over at Derek who had started moving his feet.

"Sorry to interrupt, but this is getting rather annoying," Derek piped up and turned to his pack members. Erica, Boyd and Isaac walked up to Derek and sunk their claws into his skin. I felt my face scrunch up. I knew that by doing this it would sped up Derek's healing process, but it was the painful cries coming out of Derek's mouth that made me feel uneasy.