#86 Cream Hearts

Summary: Harry and Y/N discuss Christmas gifts for family over lattes and bagels.

CREAM HEARTS

Upon entering the café, the welcoming smell of cinnamon and the dull hum of conversation clung to the warm air. One good look around is all it took for me to spot Harry. Most of his fluffy hair was hidden beneath his Green Bay hat, but the brown coat hanging off the back of his chair was enough to give him away.

Even as busy as it was, he had gotten our usual high table near the windows. People watching as we drank our coffee is something we often times found ourselves doing. It was comforting to watch the way downtown New Yorkers went about their daily lives. Some took things slow, and others were fueled with purpose.

On my way over to him, a few older ladies made a point to compliment my jacket. In all honesty, it was nothing spectacular. There were small snags in the fabric here and there, and the chipped zipper tended to get suck, but it's one of my favorites nonetheless. My dad bought it for me two years ago. For it to remain in good condition was an accomplishment all on its own.

Usually, I try my best to take care of gifts from my family members. Even more so than from friends. Not for the heck of it, but because I appreciate them more. By no means do we get along 100% of the time, but it'd be a lie to say we didn't try. Especially with this being a can't-or-won't type of world.

Just last month, my mom and I had an argument that resulted in her not talking to me for two whole weeks. We usually called each other often, so it was a big deal for us. Our two-sided silent treatment didn't carry on too long. We realized how petty we were being.

The holidays were all about spreading positive vibes and appreciating your loved ones. Throughout the course of the year, everybody bickered and said regretful words, but somehow everything worked out for the better.

The muscles in Harry's shoulders tensed when they felt my hand. "Hey, bubs," I greeted when he turned around. "Did I scare you?"

"A lil' bit," he admitted through a chuckle.

"Only a lil' bit, huh?" I mocked.

He rolled his eyes. "Shut up."

Smiling, I placed a pert kiss on his cheek before standing on my toes to take a seat high across from him. The cream design had already began to fan out in the latte in front of me, but I could still tell it was supposed to be a heart. That and a panda bear face were my two favorite cream designs. They're the two I fell in love with when I first started drinking coffee in high school. Some things just aren't meant to change.

"So," he swallowed the piece bagel he'd been chewing on, "figure out what t'get your mum and dad? I might get them a vintage painting I saw at a corner shop. Think they'd like that?" His eyes looked into mine for any sign of disapproval.

My answer came quick, "They'd love that. They like anything that's aged." They still have the handle mirror with their initials carved in it from their 7th grade year.

The two of them met two years before that. What made her different from his other girl friends was that she acted boyish. The two of them would get scolded for playing with earthworms, throwing rocks into the tree trunks, and going home with muddy shoes. In other words, the exact opposite set of characteristics everyone thought my dad would fall for.

A satisfied smile broke across Harry's face. "Great. They're definitely gonna love the one I've got my eyes on, then."

"I know they will. I'm going to put together a photo album for them," I thought out loud before taking a sip from my drink. The sweet liquid warmed my throat as it made its way to my stomach.

He hummed. "That's nice. I can help if you'd like."

"That be great actually. You've got skillful hands. They'd help get the job done quicker." Both of our eyes grew wide in that moment. "I mean. Shit, that came out so wrong."

Instead of laughing, he shook his head and gave me an innocent smile. "No, no. I understand what you were getting on about, love. It happens," he assured.

As we finished up, we listened to the other guests' conversations and the soft hum of engines from the passing cars outside. Nobody ever seemed to rest around here. Every once in a while we'd lock eyes, and he'd smile and give me an endeared look. It was the one I found him dealing often. Almost as if he had decks upon desks of looks to deal.

Right after the high pitched sound of clashing bells signaled our exit, my lips found his. It was enough to distract our bodies from the cool winds of New York. It took him a few seconds to finally respond, but I didn't mind. "You taste like chocolate," I whispered.

When we pulled away from each other, his cheeks were flushed and his nose was beginning to turn a darker shade of pink.

"Rudolph," I teased, poking it. "I'll meet you at your place?"

"Yeah, sure. I'll see you then."

We hugged before parting separate ways to our cars.

-----

A/N

Thanks for reading!

I haven't posted in ages. Sorry about that. I've just been so busy lately.

Anyways, I hope you guys and your families have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Expect to see a few more Christmas themed imagines.

-Nic 🎅🏻💗