Chapter 40: Out and Done

Adam glared at the cop, "Find my damn Eleanor!" He yelled, dark circles under his eyes from three days of no sleep. He couldn't handle it. It pained him too much to think of her now.

Once a person has been missing for a day, it's likely they are dead, but three days makes it a 90% chance that his wife, his lovely Eleanor, was dead.

"We are doing the best we can." The officer said. Adam had gotten sick of that phrase. They had done nothing but sat on their lazy asses and got paid for the last three days. He needed to raise the stakes. He needed to have people motivated.

"Whoever finds my wife will be awarded a hundred thousand dollars!" He shouted, unable to think logically anymore. He was having trouble processing the fact that the love of his life was missing and probably dead.

"Adam, son, don't you think you're being irrational?" Mr. Carnegie asked, he didn't know what real pain felt like. He never had the love of his life disappear without a trace and with only a signed document saying she wanted to leave him. Old Mr.Carnegie never loved, underneath that suit was a hole for a heart.

Nothing added up.

"Dad, please, I need to find her." Tired tears streaked out of his eyes, he had become so weak in the last few days. He hadn't eaten or drank anything besides water.

"But one-hundred thousand dollars takes us almost two whole weeks to make!" Mr. Carnegie argued.

The news of Eleanor missing had shot its way up to every news channel in America and now the stakes were raised. Adam was angry and hurt and murderously dangerous.

"Have you ever considered that she doesn't want to be found?" Mr. Carnegie suggested, crossing his thick arms.

A call and message alert popped up on his phone screen and he immediately left. Adam stood frozen as news reporters and more cops tried to speak to him.

"Adam Carnegie has officially lost it. Maybe Eleanor doesn't want to be found, maybe she needed to get away for a while. But nope, Mr. Carnegie will not have it. He has even raised the stakes far enough to pay one hundred Thousand dollars to whoever finds his wife. The search continues. This is posted on your website and I am Eli Harvey." The reporter recited.

A few hours passed and nothing.

"Two hundred thousand to the first person who finds her!" He shouted as he sat in the middle of the road beside the fence and the ring. He watched as scientists and FBI agents took samples of the blood and the piece skin on the fence.

"From the looks of it, it appears that a dog was chasing her and she climbed the fence to escape because we found prints from the ground here on the top of the fence. Something must have happened to let her take her guard down and my assumption and theory is that somebody she knew and trusted pulled the dog away, but I don't see any signs of struggle so maybe the owner of the dog came and took it. I am still not sure if this is the accurate prediction of what had happened but we will need to do more tests." The inspector said. Adam had no expression on his face, his sunken cheeks, his tired eyes. He couldn't handle it anymore.

(MISSING BLURB)

  (Due to Copyright, several blurbs have been removed from the story, where they are missing, it will say (MISSING BLURB). Purchase the book on amazon under: The Arrangement by Veronica Soliman. )

The video was out for the world to see. Eleanor and Vladimir. It seemed to be the only thing that every person in the world was talking about.

"I told you she was no good!" Mr. Carnegie said, dropping by Adam's home one evening.

In a word. Adam was crushed. He felt immobile and despised himself and his life. He had not believed his father when he told him about Eleanor signing the divorce papers.

"Have you come here to gloat?" Adam asked. It had been two weeks and everyone had announced that Eleanor was dead.

Until today. She was still missing, but now there was proof that she was still alive.

"Shall we watch the video together?" Mr. Carnegie snickered with an 'I told you so' look on his face. Adam didn't need to be tortured any further, but he persisted.

He said nothing as Mr. Carnegie turned the channel to one of most recent events.

A censored video appeared on the screen with Eleanor's face buried in Vladimir's neck and her arms wrapped around his back and the only other thing you could see was her legs wrapped around him. Most of it was blurred over.

Adam was done with crying he was angry now. Yet not angry enough to realize that the white room they were in was not unfamiliar.

In fact, it looked like the lab in which Carnegie Hall would test out dangerous chemicals or ingredients to prove a court case.

And there was no way to get five different camera angles unless its the lab.

Adam glanced skeptically at his father, he shut his eyes. He knew how cruel of a man his own damn dad could be, but he had never thought the man would stoop this low.

All for what, to separate a bond that he had set up. How stupid.

Adam would make sure this man would pay. That wouldn't be the first time he got screwed over.