Chapter 24: Truth Be Told

"We dated, that's all it was." He laid down on the couch in his living room and rested his head on my lap.

"Did you love her?" I raised an eyebrow and leaned down to rest my elbows on my lap and my face in my palms. We were sitting face to face now as his lips curled into a delicious smirk.

"It's my turn to ask questions." He replied,

"So you did."

"Eleanor."

"Adam," I smirked.

"Why did you try to run away from me, and cheat on me after our wedding?"

"Wow, I sound like such a horrible person."

"Because you are." He smirked this time, lightly kissing the end of my nose.

"Funny." I playfully rolled my eyes and lean back on the couch. "What does she look like?"

"Does it matter?"

"I want to know."

"I was in a bad place. Okay, Eleanor, it shouldn't really matter because we're married now and. . ." I immediately cut him off.

"And if you still like her, we could divorce."

"Eleanor!" His voice boomed loudly as he sat up and turned to face me.

"What? It was only a suggestion." I bit my lip consciously as his brown eyes flamed.

"You're unbelievable! You. . ." He stopped himself and just stood up and walked out of the living room, heading upstairs.

"Good talk," I mumbled and groaned as I leaned back on the couch.

I sat there for hours just staring at the ceiling. He occasionally walked past me but never said a word. Maybe I had really done it this time.

Now he sat on the opposite couch while he did stuff on his iPad.

"Adam I'm sorry. "I said, waiting for his eyes to shift toward me. He didn't, but I continued anyway, "I shouldn't have said that. But I really don't understand why it makes you so angry when I bring it up, couples do it all the time and. . ."

"And what? After we divorce will you be going back to casual sex with that asshole that cheated on you?"

"Technically we were broken up but no why would I do that?"

"At the church, I saw the way he was looking at you." He mumbled.

"What? Adam, I didn't even know he was there!" I walked over to his side and sat. He seemed to stiffen up, but finally put the iPad away and wrapped me under his arms, he smelled amazing.

He paused for a few seconds, contemplating what he would say and finally began talking again.

"I dated Rachel in college. The typical jock dating a cheerleader type thing right. And I knew she had a gambling problem, but I didn't know how to stop her. She was going through a lot and I just wanted her to be happy. And one day she told me there was a really important party I had to go to and I told her I had to go to visit my family. It was just some excuse because her terms for party usually meant gambling, smoking, and drugs.

"I didn't go. But I got a call in the middle of the night from some creepy guy telling me if I didn't come and pick her up they would kill her. At first I thought it was some joke, but it wasn't. When I went to that party, it was like everyone was waiting for me to toss a million dollars in the air and save her. She had told all of them that she had a, and I quote "rich boyfriend who could pay all of you what you need". They said all they wanted from me was four hundred dollars and then they'd give Rachel to me. So, my stupid seventeen year old self gave them the money and got Rachel back."