Chapter 20: Misunderstood

♡♡♡♡♡♡

The sun stroked my face, causing my eyes to fly open. I yawned, stretching my limbs and accidentally knocking my hand onto Adam's hard jaw. I wanted to feel the strong jawline which he held but stopped myself.

"Sorry," I muttered as he reached for my hand.

"Good morning to you too Eleanor." He yawned, stretching as well and turning toward me. He rested his hand on my cheek, his body turned toward me. He smiled slightly, the brown in his eyes looking slightly hazel with the sunlight glimmering inside them.

"Hey." I smiled back, turning my body toward him. My heart lunged when I realized he was sleeping shirtless. He never slept shirtless. Or at least if he did, I never noticed as much as I did today. My eyes seemed to pop out of their sockets.

I felt a wallowing feeling at the pit of my stomach. Something must be wrong with me.

"Have you seen the news yet?" He smirked. What was up with all these smirks lately?

"I don't plan on it." I yawned again, turning my back toward him and leaning over to where I was sitting on the bed, my legs dangling inches from the floor.

"Oh you should, it's great." He grabbed my waist and spun me around to him. I felt butterflies fluttering in the pit of my stomach. I smiled as he held his phone above us. I leaned my head on his shoulder as we rested our backs on the soft cushions of the bed. I couldn't help but get a whiff of his scent.

He chuckled, a childish smile to him. A happiness he'd concealed very well.

On his phone screen was a picture of us kissing in front of my house and directly below it was a picture of his back, his arms placed in the front where yesterday he'd 'zipped' his pants. I stared at the headlines, my eyes widening in shock. There were multiple articles, but there was one that specifically caught my eye.

HOME EARLY FROM ROMANTIC HONEYMOON, ELEANOR AND ADAM ON THEIR WAY TO MOURN JASON HAYS, BROTHER OF ELEANOR.

QUICKIE IN THE CAR? ELEANOR AND ADAM CARNEGIE SEEM TO BE ENJOYING EACH OTHERS COMPANY!

IS ELEANOR HAYS ACTUALLY GOOD FOR ADAM CARNEGIE?

I stared at the last title, trying to decipher the article without drawing too much attention to it. Am I good for him? I didn't even know him before we married. Was he different then? Is he different now? Thoughts ran through my mind. And landed once again on the words I dreaded most.

Am I actually good for Adam?

I am not good for him.

I immediately stood up and headed toward the bathroom. I didn't know what we were doing today but I was going to go down stairs, put on a smile and pretend to be okay.

"Eleanor. . ." He trailed, hopping out of bed and reaching for my wrist.

"Adam. I have to shower. . ." I said, avoiding his eyes.

He could do so much better than me. Someone who actually loves him and is not a pain in the ass like me. Adam was a sweet guy, he deserved far better than me.

"Eleanor." He breathed, I heard the bed moving and a hand touch my shoulder. "Why are you upset?" Adam's confusion only made me feel worse for what I was about to do.

"I'm not upset," I said, eyeing his hand on my shoulder like it was ebola.

"Yes, you are. Tell me. Eleanor, you're my wife, you can tell me anything please. . ." He said as I turned toward him.