Chapter 18: A Date?

Chapter 18:

Melody's P.O.V.

Crisp skin freezing, landscape hiding snow fell from white marshmallow clouds. I licked my lower lip. It was -5° outside but I felt nothing. I wasn't cold, I wasn't warm.
It was just over two months since Matthew had left us, and two months since Raven had gone after him.
Neither of them came back.
Of course we had to leave and come back to our home at The Isle of Man, leaving Matthew and Raven still in Germany, or where ever they ended up. A search party had taken place but no one, not anyone in the seven clans Sylvester had scouting the whole of Germany for any signs of the two of them, could find them. There weren't even any records of them leaving Germany so who knows what happened to them.

Angel, now the clan leader by Sylvester's orders even though Angel protested that it was Raven's job to lead the clan not his, rarely left his room. The only times I saw him was when he was leaving the house to hunt and when he came back from hunting. Those times I usually ignored him because I know what he's going to do or what he's done, I know he has to do kill to survive but I just can't help feeling disgusted with him, especially when they have a blood cellar in the basement.

Ashley on the other hand, I saw a little more regularly. He hung out around the house sometimes when he wasn't at work, out hunting or going on very regular 'walks'. We couldn't hold much of a conversation anymore but at least he was there.

Gray decided to stay in Germany with Dawn for a few more months, just in case there was any sign of Raven or Matthew. It had torn me from the inside out when he proclaimed that he would be staying behind, but what bothered me most was that he seemed so happy about it. I was almost used to not having him around, we Skyped every few times a week but only for half an hour maximum because Dawn would want more time with Gray and he's too smitten to even care about his twin sister. Sometimes I was ashamed to even be related to him.

I had now taken on the much missed role of taking care of myself once more. I now ate whenever I wanted to and had grown accustomed to the stares of the maids, in fact it felt a little odd without them there, quietly whispering and watching my every move. Solitude was something I had grown to enjoy. I had so much time to think. Sometimes I had a little too much time.

I gazed out at the frozen waterfall, I missed the rushing noises it used to make. Christmas last year had been a normal day for me.
Ashley and Angel were atheist and didn't celebrate any religious festivals. I was atheist too but I still celebrated the holidays, or most of them at least. It had been the first Christmas without my family.

It was January now and soon it would be spring.

I trudged through the snow in cheap knockoff Converse that were soaked through. Closing the door behind me and shrugging off my jacket I could hear someone playing the piano.
I let the noise guide me. I wasn't very surprised when I was led to the hall where the white Yamaha piano sat proudly.

I quietly opened one of the wooden doors and snuck in. Angel was sitting, playing the piano like I have never heard a piano being played before. Every key was perfect and on time, nothing sounded off or wrong. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had been playing piano all his life.

I approached him, he didn't stop playing or look around at me like I thought he would. He glanced at me from the corner of his eye when I stood beside him, staring at his moving hands with wonder.

"May I ask you what song you're playing?" I cleared my throat.

"Le Moulin by Yann Tiersen." He answered immediately.

"It sounds really good. How long have you been playing?" I attempted to keep any form of conversation going.

"Two years."

"Wow, you must have had a really good instructor."

"I did."

"Who-"

"Matthew taught me to play. He's been playing since he was six."

I flinched as he brought up Matthew in a conversation for the first time since we had come back from Germany.

"Oh."

"You know, it's okay to talk about him- them." He corrected, remembering that Raven wasn't with us either. "It's not as if they're dead."

"You don't know that." I said.

"No, not for definite. But I feel them, I know that sounds incredibly weird and pervy but I can feel their existence. They're okay, for now."

I smiled softly at him. He returned the smile and stopped playing piano.

"I think I'll take you out somewhere." He smirked.

"W-what?"

"It can be like a date" He winked.

I must have blushed scarlet and my hands trembled.

"I'm only joking. But only about the date part, I am going to take you somewhere. We've both been cooped up in this house for far too long."

"I agree."

"How about next Saturday?" 

I shrugged. "Whenever, its not as if I have plans or anything." I smiled at him and left the hall.