Chapter 30: Deserved Punishment

Chapter 30:

Angel's P.O.V.

I let my fangs sink into her soft delicate skin. A soft gasp left her angelic lips, yet she made no attempt to move away from me. I glanced at her, she was wearing an expression of shock but I couldn't detect a hint of fear. I moved my mouth away from her arm and loosened my grip on her wrist so that the blood would flow easier. I watched attentively as the dark, thick liquid trickled from her wrist and dribbled down her arm. I took a deep breath, the scent was exquisite. It was heavy but not over-powering. Sweet but still rich.

I brought my lips down to her bleeding wrist and kissed it gently, I could feel the tepid blood on my lips and I ran my tongue along my bottom lip. My taste buds burned and sizzled at first, what with Melody being the first live human I had fed from in a while. Her taste still strongly reminded me of mulled wine. My hunger grew stronger and along with that hunger grew my instincts.

I bit her again in the exact same spot and drunk from her greedily. Melody is mine, no one else's. Her blood belongs to me, her body belongs to me, no one will touch her and live to tell anyone about it. These thoughts circulated constantly through my mind as I sucked the sweet nectar from my beloved flower - Melody. I felt as though I were in heaven and Melody's blood had taken me there.

A brief shock down my spine knocked me out of my blood crazed state and I retracted my pointed fangs from her wrist without hesitation. I ran my tongue over her bloodied wrist and shuddered. It was electrifying. I watched the skin heal over rapidly, leaving two small scabs on her reddened skin. It was only then that I realised that my whole body was quivering and that Melody was firmly pressed against my chest, my arm that had been free was crushing her against me. A wave of concern passed through my body, I looked down at her. She had her eyes shut tight and I could see her skin glistening. Had she been crying? I let her wrist drop and cupped her face with both my hands, her cheeks were wet. I let my forehead rest against hers and I stared at her closed eyes. 

"What have I-" I began to speak.

 "It's okay Angel, you can keep drinking." Melody put on a fake tone of happiness and offered her wrist up to me. "Or maybe you would prefer..." 

I watched her intently to see what she would do. She brought a hand up to her neck and pushed away her flowing hair. She took one of my hands and pressed it to her neck, I could feel her pulse beating at a quick strong rhythm. I sighed and put my hand back by my side.

"I cannot go any further." I told her simply.

Even though words cannot describe how much I want to... Just as I expected, she wouldn't take no for an answer. Her eyes flashed open, they were wide and frightened. I didn't fully understand why.

"Why not!?" She sounded surprised.

"Feeding from humans... Is a lot more complicated than it seems. You were bitten twice on your neck and yet you remain human, do you wish to know why that is?"

She shook her head slowly, her eyes didn't leave mine.

"You were bitten by a Nascent, they are vampires who are young and puerile. It takes a vampire older than 50 years old, a Noble, to be able to make a Nascent. When you had that blood transfusion Gray's blood was used, as you are aware, and he is not 50 years old. That is why you did not become infected. It is safe for those of us who are over 50 years a vampire to bite a human's wrist without the threat of a Nascent being created however if one were to feed from your neck you would undoubtedly become one. I am a Noble, I cannot bite your neck." I explained slowly so that it would sink in, I hoped she wouldn't ask about my age at this particular time.