Chapter 2: Exposed

Chapter 2:

Melody's P.O.V.

The coffee dripped off the edge of the table, like blood oozing from a cut on your finger. I cautiously walked into the hallway and noticed our front door swinging open, I thought little of it as our door has a history of magically opening itself. The living room door was shut and the horrid smell seemed to be sourced there. I grasped the handle but hesitated, what could be behind this door that could produce such a rancid smell?

I decided to be brave and I violently pushed open the door and covered my nose with my hand as the hideous smell diffused itself from the room. I couldn’t quite see because the lights were off so I reached over to the light switch and flicked it on. My eyes couldn’t believe what they were seeing and I bit down on my tongue to stop myself from freaking out too much. There, covering the carpet, walls and furniture like it was nobodies business, was crimson blood. On one of the originally white walls was a picture of a smiley face with fangs drawn in blood. And there, chilling out on the sofa was an abused heart, which had probably been the item used to graffiti my house. I sprung away from the room and gagged a little; I was probably going to be sick. I fled out the old, wooden front door onto the street. I didn’t fancy the idea of being trapped in a house with someone who clearly belonged in an insane asylum.

My body locked in place as I caught sight of a young blonde girl –perhaps the one who had screamed earlier- spread out on the cobblestone, covered in a pool of her own blood that was leaking from her chest. I whimpered and slowly edged my way around her corpse. Tears of panic and frustration streamed down my weary face and my breathing turned into short, panicky breaths of desperation.

The smell coming from her slowly draining body along with the flies and other insects that were gathering to feed on her was making my stomach want to empty itself but there was nothing to get rid of and so I walked in tiny steps, gagging. After getting passed her, sudden adrenaline pumped through my veins and my mind began racing. I need to leave here, but first I need to find Gray.

I rounded the corners of several buildings with extreme caution. I wouldn’t let whatever was out there get me. I pressed myself to the wall as I walked since it was still dark and I couldn’t afford tripping over the bumpy cobblestone. I felt something liquidy and warm beneath my fingers and I looked up. I screamed at the top of my voice, as I recognised the chief of police, speared to the wall with his blood splattered around the place.

Well so much for being brave.

He had multiple stakes sticking out from his plump figure, mostly in his chest.

I heard a light thud off in the distance and I froze, it sounded like someone jumping down from a wall. It wasn’t until then that I realised that I was stuck in an enclosed area with only one way out which was the way I came in. I was an open target for anyone.