Chapter 17: Left Alone

Chapter 17:

Melody's P.O.V.

With a sudden jolt I was ripped from my slumber. I quickly sat up and scanned the room. It was completely empty. No one was here besides from myself, not even Gray who usually 'slept' in my room with me.

I crawled clumsily from my bed and squinted my eyes in the dark. Cold air chilled and nipped at the back of my neck. I pulled a grey hoodie over my head and changed my fleece pyjama bottoms for black skinny jeans that seemed to be the only type of jeans I owned. I threw on some shoes and opened my bedroom door quietly, hissing at it when the hinges squeaked. I glanced down the hallway, it was silent and all the lights were off. 

I navigated down the stairs, dodging the noisy steps.

As soon as I got to the bottom of the staircase the sound of a door closing echoed throughout the house. My heart leaped into my throat and I cursed at myself for being so jumpy. I grabbed the top of the stairs banister and squeezed it as I waited to see if whoever closed the door was coming back. Nobody did, the house was still again. It was then that I realised that somebody had left the house via the front door. 

Glancing out the side window beside the door I saw a lanky figure with brown hair retreating from the house. Matthew? Without thinking logically about my actions I opened a latch and dashed out the door, quietly shutting it behind me. 

Apparently I wasn't quiet enough. The figure turned around.

"Melody, what are you doing up at this time?" Matt's voice rung out clearly in the morning air.

"I have a messed up sleeping pattern. What are you doing out of the house? You're not supposed to leave." 

His face was blank, I began walking over to him but stopped. "Come back inside."

"I have to do something, by myself." He said harshly.

"No, I was told, you are to stay inside." I growled.

Matt stalked over to me and put his finger to my lips, silencing me.

"I have to do this. If you were my...friend" He hesitated. "you would understand." His eyes skittered around, from me to the front door to the windows on the house.

"Fine, when will you be back?" I sighed, annoyed.

He chuckled, "Who knows, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, never." 

I swallowed a lump that had formed in my throat.

"Please stay." My voice was barely higher than a whisper.

For some odd reason tears welled up in my eyes. Maybe it was because I knew I was too weak to stop him. Nothing I could possibly do would bring him back into that house if he wanted to leave.

"Come on now, angel's don't cry." Matt scolded, smiling.

A thick fog settled around us.

"At least tell me where you are going?" I insisted.

He frowned. "Now that's no fun, you'll be able to find me then." He said it as if we were playing a game.

I tilted my head to the side. Obviously I want to be able to find you, dumb ass.

"Okay fine, I'll be stopping at Aaron's house and then I'll be going to an airport and then, hm. I have some business to tend to in the United Kingdom, I have to stop off at Ireland too now that I think about it, and then I'll most likely come back home. I won't be too far."