The Battle For Earth

Steven's POV:

"So... Jasper, fusion is just a cheap trick for-"

"Shut it, nerd and get to fixing the Hub."

With the Crystal Gems defeated... we can finally get to our goal of communicating with Homeworld! That brings us one step closer to getting back home!

Although... we've kinda run into a bump in the road.

"How do you expect me to reposition all of these columns in a manner that will facilitate communication with Homeworld?"

"I don't know! And I don't care either!" Jasper seems a bit angrier than usual. "Just do it! We handled the hard part of taking down the gems, you fix the Hub!"

"Ugh... fine! But it'll take forever!" Peridot stomped away from our group, complaining about clods and other stuff all the while.

"We'll help!" Lapis called to her.

"What? Don't volunteer my help, Blue! We fused once! We're not the same gem any more!"

"Suit yourself. But you heard her, it'll take forever."

"Maybe you guys should all fuse together!"

"Ugh, kid, no. That was a once in a lifetime deal." Jasper stretched out over a huge rock that hadn't even been in the area until the fight with Sugilite. "I don't feel like doing anything else for like... a month."

"Aww... Jasper... you're no fun."

"Pfft. I'm the funnest person in this ragtag  group of weirdos."

A nasally voice surged out of the direction of the Communication Hub. "Are not!"

"How'd she even hear me?"

"Probably some cool technological sound thingy."

"Or maybe she's just nosy..."

Things had settled down after a little bit of reconstruction. Lapis was following Peridot's plans for rebuilding the Communications Hub using her water hands but... it still seemed like it'd take a while.

"Hey, Jasper."

"Yeah, kid." She had her eyes closed, I guess she was resting.

"What was it like being a fusion?"

"Hm?"

"When you fused with Lapis, what was it like?"

"Eh. I'm tired of talking about that fusion. We did it, now it's over. No need to bring it back up."

"Aww Jazz, please!"

"Kid. It was a fusion. I merged my gem powers with hers and it became a huge monster. What more do you wanna know?"

"I know what it looked like but what did it feel like?"

One of her eyes lurched open. "I don't follow."

"Well... you know! Did you feel like you or... did you feel like Lapis or-"

"I didn't feel anything."

"Huh?"

She started staring at her hand. "Fusion is..."