The Flooded Sunset

A/N: Unrelated photo above. Still pretty true.

Steven's POV:

Peridot was stomping around our mini base in the forest. She still seems pretty mad about the Galaxy Warp's warp pad being broken.

"Peridot, it'll be fiiine! Come on, take a seat with us." I patted the ground beside me, it was actually much softer than the ground on Homeworld.

"No it won't! We're stuck on this weird planet and all we have is this makeshift base!"

Our makeshift base (I prefer calling it a mini base) was pretty much a bunch of branches that Jasper and Peridot had pulled together. It was stuck together with dirt that Lapis had soaked into mud. It was really only big enough for me to fit but the others said that they didn't mind.

"I think it's pretty nice, though." I said, referring to the base. "I mean you guys worked together to build it. Peri, we used your schematics and Jasper's strength. Not to mention Lapis's out-of-the-box magical powers!"

I earned a blush from both Peridot and Lapis and even a funny eye roll from Jasper.

"Well yeah but mud and branches isn't really a base." Jasper turned her head to the sky for some reason. "We need to find a better place to live before- ugh. Never mind."

"Before..?"

The land was changing, at least, its color was. It was getting darker and darker and... oh. It's nighttime.

"Perfect. Just perfect! This planet's day cycle is completely ridiculous! First it's morning and then, out of nowhere, it's night? I hate this place!"

"Wow. She really whines a lot, huh?" Lapis sighed, kicking her feet up on a rock.

"Eh. Peri is just like that sometimes." I shrugged. "She just really hates being stopped from completing her missions." She's really committed to making Homeworld a better place!

"Ugh. I wish she'd just think of something else to do, already. Whining isn't gonna fix the stupid warp pad. I say we just go find those Earth gems, beat them into the ground, and take their base." Jasper broke into one of her maniacal cackles and I think it shook the Earth...

"Ugh, would you shut up already?" Peri's finger tubes were all over the place. A couple were in her teeth, some were in her hair, and the last few were being used to create one of her Interface. That kinda happens when she gets annoyed or panicky. "I can't think straight with all your incessant laughing."

"Tch. Well maybe I can't think straight with all your incessant nerding!"

"Oh my gosh, would you both just stop? You fight every ten seconds and I'm sick of it! And I bet Steven's sick of it too!" With my name as its cue, Lapis swung her arm out in my direction. "Right, Steven?"

"Well... I mean you guys are supposed to be a tea-" Something below me rumbled, like... a murmuring sound or something. Wait... I know what that sound is!

"Steven, um... how long has it been since you've eaten?"

"Like... a day and a half."

Lapis, Jasper, and Peridot huddled together in a circle without me, although I could kinda hear exactly what they were saying. "Crud. The kid's gonna die of starvation."