Mix and Match

Connie's Perspective:

"Dad's gonna be so mad at me when he realizes I left without telling him..."

It's not my fault, though! He's the one that wasn't in his room when I came looking for him!

I tossed the manhole cover aside as I stepped out of Underground City's escape route. It feels like it's been easier to move lately, I guess because everyone comes through this place now.

First the scouting groups, then my parents and me, then me and... Steven.

I shook the thought of the gem boy out of my head. "This isn't about him! Well... not completely anyway."

But how am I supposed to find him or the Comet?

My eyes dusted over the sandy ground below my feet.

Ugh, the wind must've gotten rid of their footprints too.

"So I really don't have any leads." Feeling defeated, I collapsed into the sand.

Maybe I should turn back. Or... maybe I should try and look at things differently?

"It's still pretty bright out. It's almost blinding, the Sun, I mean."

I must seem so weird if I'm talking to myself out here. But it's not like anyone is listening to me anyway.

"Maybe I should sing instead. Would you like that... oh great and mighty Sun?" I joked. "If I provide you with the offering of song, would you give me the answers I seek?" I couldn't help but laugh at that last part.

But what should I sing?

The sun glinted in my good eye and I realized that I probably shouldn't be staring directly at it. "Geez... the Sun's so bright today."

And... my shirt's clean too.

"I'm lying here... beside the sea... come on and share this... song with me."

Oh that's right! I brought...

I quickly rolled over to the manhole cover, I hadn't thought about it but... I left my stuff down past the ladder.

"Okay. Food... water... and song."

I had grabbed a couple leftover sandwiches, an old water canteen, some spare clothes, and my violin. I've had it since I was little and... I couldn't leave it behind.

"Okay. Let's try... this."

I quickly dragged the bow of my violin across its strings, letting out a familiar melody as I began to play an old song I had wrote for the Comet and... the other citizens of Underground City, when I was 8, before I was "Dead Eye."

Cantabile. I played it in a smooth, singing style. Like cantabiles. Back then... I was scared to sing in front of other people. Back then, I only knew how to play the violin but now... I can play most any string instrument... even a harp.

"So much has changed..."

The bow slid elegantly against her partners, the strings.

"But you've always stayed the same."

They danced together, a happy group, overjoyed friends working together.

"You're still a mystery to me."

I never came up with words for this song. Everybody seemed so happy to hear me play it the first time, I couldn't bring myself to change a thing.