Wonder and Solidarity

Steven's POV:

My three gem friends each had a different confused look on their face.

"Figured what out?" Peridot finally looked away from her screen to stare at me.

Oh how I missed Peri's funny faces. And Jasper's too. Jasper's are hilarious!

"Well... um... I thought of something while you guys were fighting."

"Which was..?" Jasper added.

"Lapis should join the Shining Gems!"

"Whaaat?"

Ha! They're all in sync! Perfect team material!

*~*

Connie's Perspective:

The Comet's gone, my parents are nowhere to be found, Marty's leading the town, and on top of that, I don't have a weapon anymore!

I hadn't thought about it at first but my feet were taking me to the infirmary where my mom used to work.

I wonder how the town will get along without her expertise.

"Connie. Underground City needs your commitment, your dedication. You need to save them from Marty. He's going to lead them down the wrong path..."

I can't protect the town, Comet. I'm not... strong enough. How much can I do on my own? The only reason that gem monster went down was because of Stev- no. I'm sure that we could've gotten through it without taking too much damage. We're warriors, right?

The corridor to my mother's work station was unusually cold. She hasn't even been gone for a full hour yet and this place is already losing her touch. Then again, the last time I was here, this place wasn't exactly brimming with the warmth of a family sitting down at a fireplace together.

"What... do you think your doing?"

"C-Connie! What are you doing here?"

"Why are you packing your tools, mom? Y-You're not leaving too, are you?"

"Connie, I-I have to go, I have to leave town."

"What? Mom, you can't just leave us! What about dad? What about the townspeople?"

"Honey, this isn't my choice."

"Of course it's your choice! Nobody told you to pack up your things and go!"

"Connie, Marty knows that I knew Steven was a gem. If I stick around, he might start thinking you and your father were in on the secret."

"But why did you keep it a secret from us? Don't you see what he's caused?"

"Please don't blame him, honey. Things have been bad in town for a long time. If it wasn't Steven, it would've been something else later on."

"Something's rotten in Underground Cit-"

With my mind in the clouds, I hadn't noticed the person that rounded the corner ahead of me as I walked onward to my mother's infirmary. "Nyuh... Ugh, watch where you're- P-Peedee?"