A New Life

"Wha... what do you mean your servant?"

I stared at her, hoping that she was joking.

"Well... servant was probably not the right word... I guess." Connie rubbed her shoulder uneasily. "More like... assistant."

"Oh okay. That's easy. What do you need me to do?"

Connie tapped a finger delicately against her chin. "Hm... well usually I handle my own chores so... we can just, I dunno, like... skip rocks out on the beach and just sit around and talk and stuff. Just enjoy each other's company. Yeah... assist me like that."

Wait? That's what she wants me to assist her with? "That sounds more like being friends than me assisting or serving you."

"Oh! O-Of course I know that! I have tons of friends! Don't you think I know that, assistant?" Her face had flushed red, I couldn't tell if it was out of anger or something else.

"Oh sorry. I guess you're right. Um... so how long is this assistant-job... thing gonna take?"

She crossed her arms in mock rage. "I don't know. Maybe a day, maybe forever."

"Forever?"

"Yep. So let's start now. I have to take you back to the Comet to get a few questions answered but afterwards we can do friend-stuff."

"Oh, okay." The Comet seems like a pretty mysterious guy but... I think I can trust him. "Let's go then."

We started walking for a bit, with her leading the way back to the Van-House. Things were silent at first, until I broke the ice.

"Um... why do you guys live underground?"

She stopped in place, and turned to send a vicious glare my way. "We're in hiding from the gems. I guess wherever you're from, nobody thought to hide underground."

Hiding from the gems? Why? Wait... that Pearl I saw... was she one of the gems they were hiding from? Just... what is Earth?

"We got forced out of our old town by the gems." Connie's gaze locked on her feet. "They told us that if they ever saw us in Beach City again... that they'd be forced to attack us."

"So they showed you mercy?"

"No way! My family and I were stuck here because of them! We came here to watch a parade that we had heard about... but when we got here, Beach City was deserted."

She must mean the old Beach City. I wonder... what it was like.

"Then... she attacked us."

"She? Who is she? What do you mean? A gem?"

"Of course. She swooped down in bird form and tried to kill my dad."

"What? Why?"

"Because gems can't be trusted." Connie sighed. "She came straight for us and we did nothing to her! If it weren't for the Comet... my dad wouldn't have made it back alive. That... that is why I hate gems."

Well... I guess gems on Earth... are way more scary and angry than the ones from Homeworld...

"I'm sorry." I blurted out.

"Why? It's not your fault, you're not a gem."

"Oh! I-I know... but it feels like... I made you talk about a painful time. I... wish you didn't have to relive that because of me."