Pearl's Warning

Jasper's POV:

"I'll never lose. Not until I fight you face to face. Even then... I won't be defeated."

Rose Quartz...

How long ago was it? I trained... to defeat you. Combat simulation after combat simulation and... for what? To come back to this garbage planet where there's nothing but plants and the worthless scraps of your army. Even your base is falling apart.

"And then I'm here. Back here. Are you still here? Or have you moved on to... stronger opponents?"

You're a Quartz. You live for fighting. Are you off ruining other missions for other gems? Did you... graduate to some higher level of fighting?

"I'm back on Earth... but you're long gone. How is it that I'm always centuries behind you?"

"Maybe because you're not worthy of fighting her in the first place."

That voice...

"You!"

The renegade Pearl, the swordsgem with a heart of ice stood silently at the other end of the island. Her spear was out and at her side, her hateful glare would probably send any smart gem packing.

"Yes, me." She sneered. "What are you still doing on this planet?"

"Duh, you broke the Warp Pad when we were fighting last time. Now let's stop talking!" I felt my weapon appear on my head as fury trembled through my body.

"I'm protecting this planet from gems like you, if Homeworld's invasion is imminent, then I'll have to strike down even more of their scouts!" As her light steps smashed against the earth, everything started to make sense. She had been defeating the gems that were sent from Homeworld to gather food. She was the reason Peridot had to come here. She was the reason Steven's stuck here. She's the reason Peridork is stuck here! She's the reason I'm trapped here!

No warp pads or short red jokers in sight, this really is my final battle with this twig.

Her blade chopped down at my left arm but I easily moved it out of her reach. In turn I sent my other fist barreling at her skull, but she ducked and cut her blade into my side.

Tch. Did I really just forget to watch out for the sharp end of the sword?

"You're moving a bit too sloppy, is this your first time on the battlefield?"

Before I could smash her through the dirt for disrespecting me like that, the blunt end of her spear knocked the wind out of me, smacking me much farther back than I would've expected from a Pearl's attack. I was literally on the edge of the island.

She's right, I am fighting really sloppy. What's going on with me? I've fought on this planet before, I've even fought her before! This isn't anything new! I need to put all my focus into this!

"Rose Quartz or not, I'm gonna crush you into the dirt!"

Using an old Quartz trick, I rolled my body into a ball to build up speed but I quickly broke out of the stance to charge at her weapon-first.