Things We Fought

Nathaniel:

Whenever things finally start to go my way, there is always a plot twist.

That's my luck and my life.

But nothing bad happened.

She kissed me, we danced. I still was speechless but Alvin had woken up.

She left me with Alvin while she went to go talk with her cousin, Glow. Alvin wasn't in the right state to talk, so I just stared at the beautiful girl across the room. I didn't think I had ever cared that much for a woman as I had in that very moment.

She hadn't told me a lot about herself, but she did tell me she was thirteen and had just moved out from her parent's house into a small hut with her cousins.

Something happened for the first time inside of me. It was a rush of energy, confidence and sense of pride. She had me hypnotized, mesmerized. Was I crazy or had I actually fallen in love? Was everything I experienced real?

Yet all good things must come to an end.

Only if my story ended happily.

I could just pretend I fell in love and the story ended here.

You would think this was where my story would end, my hands around a beautiful woman as I kissed her through the night.

You would think Luke would have been captured and be rotting in jail by now, Mike, Ames and my father nowhere to be found.

But there is no such thing as happy ending for a Zodiac. A life for a Zodiac is filled with death and sorrows. We dream of justice and peace to be with us one day.

But that's not how this story goes. These are the things I lost.

Lost meaning never - ever - to be found again.

You would want to think that a young boy like me would live to a strong old age. I'm sad to say that I have bad news for you, the events are fixed in their place.

The roof burst open, arrows flew upon us. I darted under a table. Everyone was running, frantic to get out and find something to defend themselves with.

There are no happy endings on Earth or on Malison. Life is filled with despair and disappointment.

You have failed us. Stinger's eyes told me her thoughts as she drew her sword to defend the tribe.

Where was justice and peace now?

I placed my hands on my ears to block out the horrible sounds of war.

I once loved this girl, who also loved me, I thought we would be happily wedded together with children running about.

But I would be alone, it was my destiny. She was cold in her grave, there was nothing I could change, because, happy endings don't exist - not here, not anywhere.

I watched as Stinger, Skadi, Uriah and Glow all drew a sword from their belts. They were prepared for anything. As invaders poured in from the roof and door ways the four of them fought off each warrior who dared attack them. Despite my hands, I could still hear the screaming.

"Nathaniel!" Alvin yelled, he had lost me in the panic. "Nathaniel! You need to get out and fight! I know you're hiding! You need to fight and take a stand! Be a leader!"

You would think I had learnt something from my short time there, that I would take up a sword and defend this tribe. But like I said before, my story was about loss, and despite all my struggles, I lost myself.

I didn't move. There was nothing I hated more than fighting. The only reason I fought in the war on the water planet was because I was forced to. If I was given a choice to bear arms, I denied it each time. Alvin wasn't going to be receiving my help.

This world was the armpit of the universe, almost as bad as my home. Although I have luxury advantages and my brother on Malison, the fighting was the same across the universe and on every planet.

I saw my friend jerk his head to one side. Our invaders had blown off the side wall. Out there families were being taken, children were screaming for their mothers. I could see the look in Alvin's eyes, panic. His family was out there.

He didn't take a second thought before rushing out to defend his family. He was what I was not. Brave.

You would think that a rich young boy like me would live a pleasant life, with waiters and butlers to fatten me up and make my skin sparkle and shine. But that's now how my tale goes.

I know Azun smiles at the end of the day, from all the rebel plans he has built up in his head, his dreams of glory and freedom blocking out the devastation of our home.

Luke must be laughing right now. Laughing at me and my failure here, laughing at Azun while he tried to stand up for what's right.

There is nothing but gloom and despair in every universe.

That's how life works.