Things We Drank

Nathaniel:

"Sir!" A woman bowed as she ran over to me. "The Saxons have surrounded us on all sides!"

"Good." I smiled.

"But that's not good, sir." A man joined her.

"Nathaniel?" Alvin questioned me.

"Now we can attack in all directions." I smiled.

"What?" The men and women gasped.

"Attack in all directions." I shooed them away. "Go berserk!"

The two left, hopefully to tell others my orders. I planned my strategy out in my head.

1. Attack in all directions.
2. Win the battle.

Perfect. I was so qualified for this. Seriously, a young boy who has next to nothing when it comes to military and has only been on this planet for a week... let's put him in charge.

"Your battle will be legendary," Alvin teased.

"Can it?" I smiled. "What do you suggest I do?"

"Let's use the catapults." Alvin pointed up hill where at least a dozen catapults sat.

"Oh." I turned to the people. "Change of plans! Use the catapults!"

I watched the people run up hill, loading rocks into the giant spoons, readying their aim at the seven ships coming closer and closer to harbor.

"Fire." Alvin whispered to me.

"Fire!" I repeated, not sounded as bold as he did.

The rocks flung into the air, hitting the ships all at once. The wooden ships exploded, sending splinters of wood into the air. Their warriors jumped into the sea and swam to our shore.

"Great plan, Alvin." I thanked my friend.

"I would suggest taking prisoners." He smiled, watching the ships sink into our harbor.

"People!" I yelled. "Get the Saxons that survived and put them in jail!"

My loyal subjects didn't oblige to anything I commanded them to do. They started rebuilding houses and digging swimming pools for me. Maybe being a leader wouldn't be terrible, I just hate having all the responsibility because if one person messes up, it's my fault.

I watch a black and silver butterfly fly past my head. It's gracious wings fluttered as the wind tosses it to the side, but the butterfly fought on, moving forward to where it wanted to go.

Why did this butterfly remind me so much of myself, Azun, and the other rebels?

"Can I buy you a drink?" Alvin asked as he supported himself on his walking stick.

"That would be okay, considering we just won a legendary battle." I followed Alvin as he lead me to a pub.

Inside I stopped to look around, not aware that Alvin had walked away. There were so many people out celebrating I could barely move my way through the crowd.