Things We Thought

Azun:

"Thaniel!" I screamed as the military piled out from a rocket. He had to be there, the war was over and my little brother must return.

"Nathaniel Sagittarius Zodiac!" I screamed, cupping my hands around my mouth, thousands of people covered the street, it would be impossible to find my brother. I saw a general with a list of names, I ran over to him, cutting in front of everyone else.

"Nathaniel Sagittarius." I demanded. "Where is my brother?"

"Hello Azun! Nathaniel was sent straight to your father on a private ship." The general answered.

"Dad." I huffed, taking off running downtown.

I had to see him, my sweet innocent brother had to be there. I don't know what to think if he was sent to my father dead. I wouldn't be able to continue with my life, I would have to join him in the clouds above.

Please don't be dead... I need you alive. I sent a message telepathically to Nathaniel. I say powers are for emergencies or special situations, but I just don't want Nathaniel to abuse his power like Luke and Mike do.

Father worked on the top floor of the tallest building in Malison. I clicked the elevator button, the door opened, I rushed inside and frantically clicked the close button. I swear, that stupid thing doesn't even work. I have been here countless times to try and talk to my father and he never answers me.

"Azun!" I heard my name.

I looked up. It was Ames, my younger brother.

"Azun." He greeted me. "Come to congratulate me on winning the war?"

"Where is Thaniel?" I demanded, he stepped into the elevator with me.

"Oh him." Ames took a swing of his drink, clicking a card into a slit, the elevator closed and took us to the top floor. "He is off talking with Daddy."

"Daddy?"

"Yeah."

"How much of that have you drunk?"

"Of what?" The elevator opened and we walked out.

"That drink."

"I don't know, lost count, low hundreds."

"Alrighty then." I grabbed his cup from his hands, pouring the rest in a nearby plant.

"Hey! I was drinking that!"

I placed the cup on a stand then walked with my brother down the hall to dad's office. On the walls of the hallway I caught a glimpse of a family painting. Of course Dad's favorites were in the front, and I was blurred out in the back. I didn't really care about the portrait, it just bothered me that my father would take the one and only mistake I made and hold it over my head.
This painting was a symbol of what I would always be, just a blur in history that nobody talked about.

This is why a rebel group is forming against you dad, I thought.

I walked beside my brother. Ames was great and all but he is so narcissistic that it's just annoying to be around him. You literally feel like plucking your brain out with a spoon every time you have a conversation with him.

Ames also liked to get drunk on orange soda. That made our IQ go down further than it already was.

"Why would you want to talk to Natalie?" Ames leaned against the wall.

"His name is Nathaniel and he is my little brother. I want to find him and make sure he is okay."

"He is probably dead."

"Wait! You didn't see him?"

"Nah, I heard he was wheeled to dad on a stretcher."

"Ames, I don't know if I should take you seriously with the amount of that stupid drink you've had."

Ames slid down the side of the wall onto the ground, as I stopped by him. Dad's office was right around the corner.

"Oh no, he is dead." Ames nodded. "The whole ship blew up, I had to send people to go find the bodies. It was quite annoying having to fill out all that paper work and getting the cash to their families."

"Nathaniel." I breathed, trying not to even imagine my baby brother dead.

"Dead as a doorbell."

I released the oxygen in my lungs and fell to my knees. I couldn't mourn over my baby brother for long, I had to at least see him for myself.

"Are you crying?" Ames laughed. "What can you do about it? You can't control death."

"Death." I thought aloud. "Control death?"

"What?"

"When the dead die they are buried."

"Pineapples." Ames started to lick the wall, I ignored him in his drunken state.

"Death is in the ground, the ground is made from death. I got it!" I jumped to my feet.

"Got what?"

"I will have to travel somewhere. A place that has dirt, more then the trees behind our house have." I walked over to my younger brother.

"What, did you actually figure out how to do something useful?" Ames laughed. "You haven't done a thing in your life."

"My reign is drawing near brother." I threatened. "I will be the greatest. Once I go somewhere else to try my theory. I can practice my power for a few months in the forest then I can head somewhere with earth."

"Sure, you will amount to something eventually. What was your power again? Dirt!"

"I am more awesome then you think. If you could just imagine the possibilities."

Ames scoffed and half walked, half crawled away from me. Striding out of the hallway like the attention seeker he is.

"Look out, Dad." I whispered to myself. "For when everyone will do whatever I say, and when I can control who will stay and who shall go."

I turned around and walked the other way, to my father's office. He messed with my favorite brother, they were going to get it from me, from Death.

"Nobody is going to stand in my way." I huffed, and started to run down the hallway to Dad's office door. "I don't believe I have ever felt like this before. Controlling death will set me free!"

I arrived at dad's door, giant gold doors. I was ready, time to get my brother back!

"Then I will be the one who is totally awesome. Not Mike not Luke, just me. Then everyone will see - it's not about the power you have, it's about how you choose to use it."

I was going to blow him away.