Things We Worked

Nathaniel:

One day.

One day left till my life would change completely.

One day to master the rest of the powers.

I didn't know how one day could go by so fast. I spent all day trying to figure out the gifts, yet I found nothing new.

I tried over and over till the moon had come up and my body was exhausted with effort.

I groaned and rolled over to my side, spitting out the dirt in my mouth. I was so tired that my wings could barely move. Somehow, I made it back to the house.

Azun was still missing from action. I wished he was here to have someone to talk to about all this craziness. I wished I could at least see him one last time, before I went to my death.

I pulled out my stethoscope and listened to my heart. It sounded weak, I needed to sleep.

"Heal, Seal, Maintain." I muttered, waving my hand over my heart.

I placed stethoscope back onto my chest, it sounded better now. At least I could put up some effort in a fight if I were to get mugged or something...

Azun had told me stories from his time at war, they sounded horrible, I could barely think about them. He was a general with Mike and Luke. They all fought under Dad's command. Azun told me of a time when Mike and Luke didn't act like brats and were decent people, it was hard to imagine them so, knowing my brothers as who they are now. They won the war but at a cost that shrunk our empire to basically nothing. We ruled ninety percent of the universe before, now we only rule over Malison.

My room was dark, dusty and silent as I lie here, pondering in my mind over the things I didn't succeed at today. I close my eyes, prescribing myself the sleep I desperately needed.

I thought of everything I wouldn't get to do.

My first kiss, getting married, having children of my own, becoming a doctor.

I would miss out on so many things.

"Nathaniel, open up." I heard a voice yell from my door, followed by a fist banging on the hard wood. "Open up!"

"It's open." I yelled, expecting our butler or a maid.

A small man made his way into my bedroom. His many awards indicated that he was from the army, his rank very high.

"You're coming now." The man commanded.

"Now?" I gasped.

"Plans have changed, you're leaving tonight."

"But my brother still isn't back."

"Come with me now."

"I'm not packed." I grabbed my sheets, clenching them with my hands.

"Now."

"But Azun is-"

"Now you listen to me, boy," The man threatened, "You either come with me willingly or I will drag you out of here piece by piece, do you understand?"