Things We Cried

Nathaniel:

I woke up in my father's office, as a light shined into my eyes. I snapped awake, rubbing my forehead because of the headache I received from the overload of power from yesterday. My body ached all over. The healing power from Vestry came in handy as I used it to examine myself, healing the burns on my knees and feet, the frost bite from the freezing water on my fingers and toes, and my broken wrist.

I looked around frantically for a calendar. My father had done some major redecoration. His desk was wider and held more dangerous artifacts like swords and magic potions. I noticed a ball that resembled a snow globe, but instead of snow, it held little bits of stardust. Across the room was a fireplace, constructed with stones. Bookshelves lined the walls around that. Behind me I heard squirming. I turned around and noticed a figure in a chair with a bag ducked over his head. I jumped off the stretcher and ran over to the man, taking off the bag from his head. I recognized my brother's face immediately.

"Vestry?" I gasped. "What's wrong?"

Vestry tried to speak but a gag held him back. I pulled the gag from his mouth and it draped around his neck like a scarf.

"Nathaniel!" Vestry gasped for air. "Whatever you do don't tell Dad what I did!"

"What did you do son?" I heard my father's voice behind me, his voice was ice cold against the back of my neck, filled with a tint of anger.

"Don't call me son!" Vestry snapped.

"Dad." I gasped. "I didn't see you there. Why are we here?"

"You tell me." My father paced around the room, touching the objects on his desk.

"Nathaniel, don't speak." Vestry warned me.

"Oh, Nathaniel!" My father cooed. "Please tell us what you have done."

"Nathaniel, hold your tongue."

"My son."

"Stop!" I yelled, silencing them both. "Father, why am I here?"

My father walked over to the fire place, placing a stick into the fire to heat it up. Then he sat down on a throne by the fireside.

"Father?" I fearfully asked.

"Nathaniel." My father clasped his hands together. "You were quite remarkable in your performance on the water planet yesterday. I didn't think you would survive, your eldest brothers didn't bet you would either."

"You thought I would die." My voice was shaky. "Yet, you still sent me in."

"Details, details." Father waved his hands. "But still, it was strange that you were given no matches and yet, you started a fire on a planet made of water. You also put out the fire without moving. You defied the laws of physics and were able to stop a bullet, turn it with your mind to hit another. It seems like you did some incredible cheating."

"I guess I'm just good at the game of war." I stated. "Which I won, game over."

My father clicked his tongue. "Ta-ta."

"Nathaniel, he has been inflicting torture on me." Vestry whispered to me. "Get out of here while you can."

"You were seen at Vestry's shop immediately after I promoted you." My father stood up and strode over to us. "After that you were not seen in the city. Azun demanded to see me, but I ignored him. He sat outside those doors." He pointed to the golden doors that lead to the hallway. "He was there all day, knocking and yelling for me to open. Oh, how he cried for me to send him instead of you."