Things We Destroyed

Nathaniel:

I am no stronger than I was when I came. They weighed me before and after my week. I am the exact same, but something changed inside me, I was different inside but the same outside.

"Report to sector 27," a guard tells me.

I wandered down the hall till I find number 27, inside there was only one man, a Jr. General, I knew him the second I saw him.

"Ames?" I questioned.

"Nathaniel," my brother smiled. "You have grown so much since I last saw you."

"I haven't physically changed in the last three days, Ames."

Ames looked much like me and Vestry. His hair was in natural short curls that were cut neatly at his ears. His eyes were bright green, filled with love for only himself. He received the power of light, also useless, that's why he strived to be better then everyone, better than Mike and Luke. He wanted to prove that he was not useless like Azun. He wanted to contribute something to this war and in all the wars to come. Worst of all, he didn't stand with the rebels.

"Daddy has offered me a chosen position." My brother shifted the attention to himself. "He made me in charge of winning this war, the right hand man of the second in charge. When I heard that you joined the fight, I couldn't underestimate your abilities."

"My ability to fly?"

Ames placed his hand upon my shoulder. "You can be the perfect distraction. You can be the thing that wins us this war."

"Thing?"

"Father always told me how much he loves me. He says, and I quote: Ames will be destined for greatness one day."

"Ames-"

"You're being assigned to the front line. You're welcome!"

"No, Ames-"

"There, I know you will do great things and win me this war."

Ames waved his hand, telling me to leave. It was no use to argue against Ames, he was so narcissistic that you couldn't try to convince him that the sky was blue if he thought it was red.

I followed a guard down the hallway. He lead me to the boarding dock. The steps I took would probably be my last.

I don't know why I didn't fight against all this. It might be that perhaps something inside of me knew I could win this. Then there was the part of me that doubted my abilities.

"Live or die." The guard smiled at me.

"Aways succeed." I finished the Malison motto.

The door closed in front of me, there were around another dozen people with me in the ship. These people would be the ones to die by my side. They all were older, more advanced than me in every way, twice my height and age. I spotted James and Padilla on the other side of the ship.

"Group 27S." The intercoms spoke. "Heading into battle front station now, landing on Sawsue, East Galaxy."

I looked out the window, Sawsue was a planet made of crystal blue water, barely containing any land. We like to call it the water planet.