sans the skeleton (REWRITTEN)

Start from the beginning

sans only nods along as you speak. His arms are propped up on his knees, his head resting on his hands as he looks and observes you with lazy eyes. It puts you off a little, but still, you continue.

"So... G is related to Gaster and sans, but I don't know in what way. Maybe they're old family members? Or friends? But that doesn't explain what they... what you could possibly want from me."

You look directly into his eye sockets, at the little lights inside that seem to flicker softly. You're almost desperate as you ask him, "what do you want from me?"

The question makes sans break down his walls as his face shifts, his grin melding into a frown. His entire body seems to move as he sighs deeply from his chest, and then he sags forward, his hand covering his face.

There's a rift of silence between you two and each minute that passes by makes you increasingly more nervous. But then suddenly sans speaks, his voice deep and tired.

"what do you want from me, huh?" He repeats, slow and calculated. The skeleton rubs his face with his hand before putting the hand on his lap. "do you want me to be honest with you?"

"It's better than lying," you whisper.

"what i want from you is... well, part of me wants you to love me and another part wants you to just leave me alone. i want you to prove me right and show that you're an awful human i can't trust. but i want you to prove me wrong just as badly. awfully confusing, isn't it?"

That's putting it simply. His answer doesn't clear things up for you at all. But it seems like he isn't finished.

"but what we want from you is a little different."

"Who is we?" You ask without thinking. He doesn't seem surprised.

"gaster and i. gaster sans." He doesn't even give you a second to question him as he continues speaking. 

"look, kid, gaster and i... have a complex history. g is a part of that history. i can't explain it to you all right now, but while I have you here, i need you to do me a favor." And suddenly sans looks like the desperate one. Nervous and out of character as he leans forward, trying to grab your attention as sweat beads down his skull. "you need to be careful. because i can't always stop gaster when he wants to hurt people. cause sometimes i want to hurt people too. and if we're both like that... g will hurt you. he'll hurt you bad."

What he says confuses you even more. Why would G ever hurt you? Why is he so connected with sans? Why won't sans just give you an answer instead of another question?

And suddenly everything starts to feel so overwhelming. Your chest and head start to ache, pulse to the beat of your heart which is thrumming wildly. You feel like your body is being torn from your mind and you want to scream. Everything feels hot, jumbled and wrong, until suddenly,

it all stops.

And suddenly you're so cold because you're outside on your porch again. There's a ruckus going on inside, you can hear it even as you're outside. You're scared beyond belief to open the door, but still, you do, with nothing but curiosity pulling your hand toward the handle. You twist your wrist, opening the door but not daring to step inside. Instead, you look and watch Papyrus on the couch like you saw him before with Frisk, but now they're wildly moving and scuttling around the living room, laughing obnoxiously and freely. G is yelling, almost roaring as he tries to grasp the phone that's being thrown back and forth between the other two.

But all the action stops as soon as the group sees you in the doorway. You stare at them, almost in shock and disbelief as they stare right back before G is running for you.

"doll!" He squeaks out, entirely out of his usual cool character. His skull is painted a hot yellow as he grimaces at you. Behind him you can see Papyrus and Frisk swaying and giggling. "listen, those texts weren't from me, okay, you have to believe me on this-"

"I need to go to bed," you interrupt him softly, putting a cautious hand on G's shoulder to move him out of the way so you can step in the house and close the door. "And we need to have a talk." You look at him sternly so that the message gets across clearly, and then you're off to your bedroom.

You can hear whispers and half-hearted threats being said outside in the living room but you're too tired to pay attention. Your body and mind run on autopilot as you get ready for bed. And when you finally find yourself under the covers of your blankets, you dream a dreamless sleep. Considering the past events, you're relieved.

You're not worried, you tell yourself. You're not worried at all about what just happened and what you were told. But still, your bedroom door is locked in a feeble attempt to feel safe.