sans the skeleton (REWRITTEN)

EDIT: ENTIRE CHAPTER REWRITTEN! Please re-read! also i saw that my story was ranked #666 in undertale which is literally the only reason i began writing again. what luck! 

"don't you know how to greet a new pal?" He says to you. Almost cheekily. As if there's some sort of hidden meaning to his words but you can't seem to find one.

"Who are you?" You ask, concern in your voice as you stand in front of your friends almost in a protective manner. "What's going on here?"

"i'unno. your guess is as good as mine, kid."

You bite your lip, anxiety flooding your veins. "You didn't answer my first question."

"oh? guess you'll have to repeat that." The skeleton shrugs. "i forgot."

"Who are you?"

"hm." The stranger stays in his spot but retracts his arm, sensing you weren't going to give him a handshake any time soon. Instead, he scratches his chin, a look akin to something of wonder on his face. "now that is a good question."

He doesn't answer you right away so you take another look around the house. Everything is stock still and silent. If you try hard enough you can hear a faint noise, something like humming static, but it's so soft that you can't pay attention to it for long. "Why can't I touch them?" You ask the skeleton instead since he isn't giving you a name.

"well, i don't know that either," he shrugs again. "but isn't it safer? we're kind of in the middle of time and space. don't want to accidentally start some sort of anomaly or space-time rip or whatever."

"I... guess." You look back at the stranger and ponder silently. You recognize the jacket he's wearing, which makes you think of something quite impossible but enough so that it almost made perfect sense. "You're sans, aren't you?"

"bingo. you got me." sans winks, not looking concerned in the slightest that you know who he is. You think that maybe he's lying, but why lie at a time like this? Why even care?

"Are you the reason everything is like this?"

"probably. but i'm only... half the reason. a third of the reason?" He scratches his chin again.

"I don't want to know you," you say bluntly. "I gave up on your whole thing a while ago."

"that's fair," sans agrees, putting his hands in his pockets. "we didn't exactly give you a warm welcome when you started figuring stuff out and invaded our space. but, if you will, amuse me." He sits on the floor, patting the spot in front of him with the same, stock smile on his face. "what're your theories? i'm absolutely dying to know."

"Ugh," You scoff, sitting in front of the skeleton with some decent space between you. "You're as bad as G."

To this he just hums, the grin on his face maybe growing an inch.

"Okay, well... you're sans," you clarify, "and G is Gaster sans. He doesn't like anyone calling him either of his names, so he goes by G. But I've heard some people he knows slip up and call him sans. Never Gaster... but always sans." You cross your feet together, trying to get comfortable on the carpeted floor of the living room. Beside you, the figures of Papyrus and Frisk remain frozen. Almost like decorations.

"Then there's that jacket," you point at sans. "I found it and G didn't like that. Alphys said something about it... I don't really remember. But she was surprised to see it was still around."

"And then there's Gaster. I'm assuming he has to do with that goop monster from my dreams. And for whatever reason... his goons or whatever the fuck are after me. They're... what did he say? They're persistent."