ChAptEr 23 Nightmares

Nate shot up her brow covered in beads of sweat and breathing heavily , she could feel her heart thumping on the inside of her chest . She looked over at her alarm clock 1:45 am.

Outside her apartment Central City's nightlife was buzzing as normal , but she couldn't relax , the memories of her dream kept her hand shaking , the memories of the previous day flooded her mind ...

Flash back ...

Bette Sans Souci was rushed into the cortex a couple of minutes ago , and was now sitting on an examining table in the observation room where she was being scanned and the results were being displayed on the computer monitor .

"She's hot " Cisco said dreamily .

"Yeay we figured with all the 'Yeah but none that looked like you' line" Nate replied in a fake Cisco voice.

"Yeeaah... that was embarrassing " he replied looking down at his feet .

"No worries , now we have leverage " she said , and gave an evil grin .

"Her cellular structure is like none I've ever seen " Doctor Wells said , observing the data.

"Can we help her " Barry asked .

"To do that we have to know how she works and to do that we have to observe her in action ."

"You want her to blow stuff up? Yess!!" Cisco said , pumping his fist .

"Uh guys we have incoming " Nate said looking at the security camera , just as the alarm went off. The screen showed the elevator full of men clad in military gear , and one of them General Eiling.

"Secure the pipeline , and get Bette out of here , I'll take care of Eiling ." Wells ordered quickly.

Later:

Bette sat on a chair in the cortex surrounded by the gang . Wells managed to get rid of General Eiling a few hours ago .

Caitlin gave the verdict of the test results "Your body has merged with the shrapnel on a cellular level."

Everyone was silent , and Bette expectantly looked at them for an answer as to what she meant .

"The technology to undo this , does not yet exist . "Wells explained .

Bette was silent , as a tear started to roll down her cheek .

"Bette..." Nate started , but was cut off.

"I... Its ok , roger that . I... I just need a minute" She said and stood up , "Don't worry I'm pretty sure I can cry without blowing something up ." she said and walked away .

Nate didn't realize it until she felt hot liquid run down her cheek , she quickly wiped the tear away . She felt sorry for this girl , whom she liked very much . She was trapped , in a life she never chose , and could do nothing about it .Something Nate knew something about .

More Later ...

Nate and Barry just got back from the CCPD , walking into the cortex .

Cisco and Caitlin were sitting behind their usual desk .

"Where's Bette?" Barry asked when he noticed she wasn't present .

"She left " Cisco said forlornly .

"What do you mean where did she go ?" Nate asked now concerned .