Chapter 3

"Come on. Hurry up and get dressed." My mom urges me. Today is the day her uncle and his kids come from the village.

"Okay okay." I say as I finally get up and get dressed. I eventually settle down in a blue cropped hoodie that is supposed to be short on an average but because I'm short it looks like a perfect fit. I pair it off with a long black shirt that barely touch my ankles. I wear a plain dark blue scarf then head out to the living room.

I wait for awhile til 2:30 then decide to head downstairs to my uncles apartment. I stay with my cousins for an hour while we talk and do each other's hairs. I teach them how to do a messy bun which they seemed surprised about.

Then it's time for me to head back upstairs, forgetting and not caring that I'm scarf was still downstairs since everyone that lives in this apartment complex is related to me and have all seen my hair.

I try to open the door to my Uncle Ali's apartment but it's locked so I knocked. I waiting a minute or two til someone finally came. I put a smile on my face and as soon as the door opens it goes away.

I am faced with a boy who looks to be about 17 or 18. He is very sun burned and very skinny. He isn't that attractive but then suddenly he smiles and I notice that he looks a little bit cute with a smile.

Then I realize that I'm not wearing a scarf and since I don't know him. At first I thought that perhaps he's one of my uncles since I have many young uncles but I've met them all.

I start backing away and he's smile disappears as he runs into the living and closes the door(yes there is a door to the living room). At least. He kept he door open. I enter and go to where my moms room. I notice a few ladies and lots of kids.

I learn that one of the ladies is my mom's cousin and the other is my mom's uncle's wife. My mom's cousin has two young boys and one young girl. My mom's aunt has more than 8 kids and that guy I met is her son. She has a daughter whose name is Reem and we're about the same age. I already see a relationship between us. I smile and greet them.

Eventually we all sit down and talk while we sip tea and eat snacksI. Everything was going well til hear a conversation I dreaded the most.

My mom's aunt who I will be calling Aunty asked me, "So when do you plan on marrying my mom?" I almost chocked on the burning tea. That question was not expected at all.

"Excuse me?" I say not believing what she just asked.

"Did your mom not tell you? We have this marriage planned out for you and my son, Ahmed."

"I'm sorry aunty but I'm far too young for marriage." I apologize while trying to keep a smile. "Please excuse my mom and I while we talk." I say getting up and giving my mom a glare and she too gets up and we both go my uncle's room.

"What does she mean I'm getting married? Did you just plan my life without telling me?!" I say trying not to scream. " I can't believe you. I'm not even 16 yet and you want me to get married already? What type of mother are you?!"

"Hold on! Stop accusing me! I'm sorry but let me explain. These people are very poor and I promised them that they can have one of my daughters years ago. Your other sister would never agree so I decided that you were the best choice." She explains. "Please help them out. They need money and I was hoping that you marry their son and bring him to America so he can work and provide for them."

I think for awhile then come to a conclusion. "Okay." I say. I almost laugh at the look that comes to my mom's face because she is surprised. We both then leave the room and make it back to where the ladies are.

My mom is more than happy to announce that I agreed. "She said yes!!" She screamed as soon as we entered. I hope the men in the living room didn't hear. I just smile and sit down next to my aunty or should I say Mother-in-law.

"Thank you." She says smiling at me. "My son has been begging us to come down here since y'all arrived. He's very excited and can't wait. I just hope you don't delay the wedding too much."

I smile as I reply, "I'll leave it all in God's will. But hopefully soon." I try to reassure her. Nobody knows the only reason I'm agreeing is so I don't have to go back to what most people would call home.

I haven't considered my house a home in years. Ever since my father ruined it for all of us.