Chapter 1

"Finally! School is over!" Hannah says skipping next to me and putting her arm around my shoulder. "So...what do you have planned for this summer." She asks.

I yawn, "I have to go to Yemen and hopefully avoid marriage."

"You're going for your sisters marriage so why are you stressing?" Lizzy asks.

"I've been a target for awhile. I've been asked for more times than I can count ever since I hit puberty. Me going to Yemen is just going to increase he asking." I explain.

"But why you?" Hannah asks. "Surely there are lots of girls that they can choose."

"Yeah there is, but not all of them are American Citizens." I tell them.

"But you have an older sister. Why not her?" Asks Lizzy.

"First of all, she can be a little bitch sometimes and only wants a certain type of guy. She denies every guy that ask for her before my parents go into detail."

"Okay but still why you? You don't seem like you'll just say yes to any guy that asks for you. What's so special about you?" Asks Hannah.

"Ouch that hurt. I feel like you don't know me that well even though we've known each other since 5th grade. I am an easily convinced person. And what's special about me is my eyes." I say putting my face closer to hers. "You see these babies will drive boys crazy since their very rare in our community. "

"I'm pretty sure God gave them to you to make up for your chest." Adam says coming out of no where with his sister.

"Adam!" Maha scolds him. "That's really rude to say and plus it's not her choice they're small."

"Ouch." I say putting my hand on my heart. "That hurts even more coming from you. As a matter of fact I love my chest area. And plus they're not even that small. I think being a B cup in is something I can brag about."

"Nobody said they didn't love them. We just said that they're small." Adam says.

"Eww stop talking about her bobbies." Maha scolds him again. We all laugh. Eventually I have to say goodbye to Hannah and Lizzie as I walk home with Adam and Maha.

Since my sister, mother, and I are leaving in two days we decide to finish packing today and Adam and Maha came over to help.

"Asalam!" Adam screams as he enters. My sisters all run around to find a scarf since we can't show our hair in front of boys.

My dad comes and greets him and Maha. Our families are very close and we basically grew up together since both our fathers own a store together.

"Yallah (come one) let's finish packing!" My mother urges me.

"Okay okay just let me pray then I'll finish up."

After two hours we are all done packing and I'm just lying in the bed. My dad has left for work and my mom is outside in the garden. I don't know where my sisters or brothers are.

Suddenly the door opens up and Adam walks in.  I quickly get up and fix my scarf. Even though we are close, I still have to respect my duty as a Muslim girl and not show my hair. "Hey. Sorry I startled you." He says as he walks towards me.

"Nah it's cool. Why haven't you left yet? You know your mom is gonna get mad." I say.

"You can't get red of me that easily." He laughs. "But umm honestly I just came to say goodbye."

I stood up immediately and asked, "What do you mean? Where are you going?"

He laughs then says, "It's not about me. I'm saying goodbye because your leaving."

"But why so soon?" I asked confused.

"Oh about that.." He says he scratches the back of his head. " I have to leave today since I'll be going to find work in Mississipp. I heard they have a really good pay and I have to start preparing for college soon."

"You have one more year of high school left what do you mean? And why do you have to leave today? Can't you postpone the meeting for two days?" I ask getting pissed.

"I'm really sorry and plus I think it's best that I say goodbye now. I feel like I'm gonna cry if I see you leave." He chuckles nervously.

"Why would you cry? You know I'm coming back. Inshallah(if god wills)" I say reassuring him.

"You see that's the problem. Inshallah means I can't guarantee nothings gonna happen to you. What if the plane crashes? What if someone shoots you? What if you get hurt? What if you.. get married?" He says the last part his voice cracking.

"I'm not gonna get married. I already promised you before that we're gonna get married on the same day." I say.

"Did you just propose to me?" He asks and let's out a sad chuckle.

"What?! No." I say and laugh along with him.

Then suddenly he puts his arm around me and hugs me tightly. My arms go stiff hanging by my legs. We haven't had this type of interaction or any interaction where we touched each other in years.  "I love you. And I'm gonna miss you so so so so so..."

"I get it." I interrupt him.

"...much." He finishes. "And if you do end up getting married along with your sister then I hope he treats you well. And don't let him do anything you don't want him to. Show him what your worth. Be strong." Then suddenly he pulls off of me and holds his hand near his face. "And umm oh yeah. Dont forget your medication and vitamins. If you run out just call me and I'll be on the next flight." He says putting his hand down but I take it suddenly and see what he was doing with it.

"Wtf? Did you really write all that down?" I stare at him with a surprised face which causes him to once again scratch the back of his head. He tends to do that a lot when he's nervous.

"Yeah...I didn't want to forget anything. Oh and call me everyday. And for the last time I love you." He says giving me a forced smile as he quickly leaves the room. I smile also because I know the reason he left so quickly was because the tears he was holding back in his eyes were begging to fall. I never even got the opportunity to say I love you too. Though he already nows.

***

Finally the rewritten version of chapter one is complete.

If some chapters don't make sense just know that I'm editing while your reading and everything should be done soon.

Thanks for giving this book a chance and I hope y'all enjoy my story.