Chapter 20

Becca's pov

Tears. Wet cheeks. I was crying and I didn't even know why.

"Are you so sad that we are leaving?" Leah hugged me tight.

"Y-yeah." I stuttered as I tried to stop crying, but I couldn't. I hadn't stopped crying in two days. David and Leah leaving was sad, but they weren't the reason for my waterworks. Tyler was.

"I'm gonna miss you so much." Ethan hugged Leah, who couldn't hold back her tears now. Leah had been sad, very sad ever since Luke left. He was supposed to marry her, but abondoned her. Now she had to marry someone else. Probably a widower, but I was still convinced that she and Ethan belonged together. I thought they would really end up together since I was planning on staying here, but now... now I'm not so sure anymore. I still had three months to spend here, but I didn't see any other option then just going back with Ethan and marry him. I will give him some kids, hoping that they will have a better life. 

"Bye, bye, Rebecca. See you soon." David smiled sadly, before stepping into the car that would bring him and Leah back to the Amish. David was sad ever since his best friend left, but he had one thing to look forward to and that was that he was gonna marry a girl tomorrow. Rachel already had her Rumspringa and was just waiting for David to return.

Ethan and I waved at the car as it slowly disappeared out of sight.

"So it's just you and me." Ethan said.

"Yeah." I nodded. It really was just me and him. Normally I would just ditch him for Tyler, but now... now I had to spend the rest of my life with Ethan and I needed to be okay with it "Let's go out for dinner."

"Good idea, babe." I gnashed as he called me that, but I had to go along with it.

We soon got into an Italian restaurant and got ourselves something to eat. We were silent almost the whole meal. I didn't have much to say nor did I want to say anything and I think Ethan sensed that. It was on our way home that he dared to open his mouth and asked about Tyler.

"Didn't you have to be with that Tyler girl today?"

"Um" I swallowed hard "Nope."

"Friendship over?" He laughed as if it was some joke.

"Actually, yes."

"Oh." He stayed silent for a while "I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry about, Ethan. It's not your fault. Tyler just isn't who I thought she was."

"I have always known that." Ethan rubbed his fore-head "That girl is trouble. And not only because of her sexuality."

"I know you knew. Should have listened to you earlier, shouldn't I?" I said.

"Yeah." He nodded "But you have the rest of your life left to listen to me."

I laughed, but I was not sure if he was being serious or joking. I hoped joking, but I was afraid he was being very, very serious.

"You know, I'm really looking forward to returning to the Amish." Ethan told me as we were still walking through the streets of Los Angeles.

"Really?"

"Yep. I'm honestly really looking forward to just getting married and starting a family. With you, of course."

"Oh, you're over Leah, now?" I rolled my eyes. I know this was the worst thing I could say now, but I didn't care. I didn't care about anything anymore. 

"Rebecca..." he said softly "it's okay. This is just how things go in our community. We are meant to be together. God brought us together and we will be husband and wife because of that. You know, I'm actually thinking about returning to the community next month. I know it's earlier than usual, but I'm just ready for my life to start there. I want you to come with me so we can get married."

"Right. Okay. I'll come with you." I nodded slowly as we arrived to our apartment building "see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight." He kissed my fore-head.

I walked the stairs to my apartment, somehow I didn't want to take the elevator. I didn't feel like doing anything. I just dragged myself towards my couch and opened a bag of chips, which were laying on the table in front of me. I was staring at my feet and fed myself the chips one by one. I had no energy to do anything or turn on the tv. I just wanted to lay down, just me and my thoughts. I didn't want to think about Tyler or Ethan or whatever. I just wanted to sleep. And so I did. I slept until 11 am. The bag of chips was still laying on my stomach and I continued eating it until I felt my phone buzzing. I looked at the screen declined it as soon as I saw Tyler. She had called before. I noticed 11 missed calls, 3 voicemails and 6 messages. I shrugged my shoulders and threw the phone away from as I continued the chips. I closed my eyes and slept again and again and again.

"Rebecca. Rebecca!" The knocking on the front door woke me up from my nap. Probably my tenth nap.

I slowly got of the couch as it was hard to move. I knew I looked horrible and I didn't care, no not at all.

"Rebecca I have been banging on your door for two days straight." Ethan looked worried, but I couldn't care less.

"Oh. What day is it?"

"Saturday! I last saw you on Thursday."

"Oh."

"Can I come in?" He asked impatient.

"Nah." I shook my head "Can you just leave me alone for bit?"

"What, but I haven't seen you in so long. Are you okay?"

"Ethan..." I sighed.

"Right." He clenched his jaw "But I will pick you tomorrow, before church."

"Okay." I closed the door and picked up another bag of chips and continued with my nap. It wasn't until I had finished that bag, that I had to get up and do something with my life. I took a long, hot shower and I felt a lot better after that. I decided that I couldn't stay in my apartment forever and it was a Saturday night and Rumspringa, after all. I needed some fun, so I went to 'babel'.

"Becca?" Tyler's voice sounded hopeful as I wanted to order a drink at the bar.

"One sweet white wine please." I told her, emotionless.

"Becca, what are you doing here? I am so so sorry. We can talk somewhere private, if you want too."

"No I don't want to, Tyler. I'm not here for you. I'm here to have fun. I want to enjoy every last part of my Rumspringa as I am turning back to the Amish in less than a month. You are definitely not my definition of fun. Bye, Tyler." I walked off into the crowd. I danced and drank all night long, not caring about anything. I felt Tyler's eyes in my back as I finally left the club early in the morning, ready to go to church.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Only three chapters left. Stay tuned, it's going to be intense and they will follow very, very soon.

Thank you for reading!