Chapter 4

Becca's pov

"Why won't you come with me tonight? We've been here for five days and have barely seen each other?" I sighed as Ethan begged me to come with him to meet some of the other Rumspringa candidates of our community.

"I already told you, I promised Tyler I would go to the bar she works."

"You barely even know her and you rather spend time with her than me?" Ethan tightened his jaw "you are supposed to marry me next year, remember?"

'I would rather marry Tyler than you' my cheeks redden as soon as I realized what I just thought. Ethan was right; I barely even know her.

"But a promise is a promise. You know I always keep my promise. And have promised Tyler to be there tonight and I promise you to spend the whole day with you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay, I guess." Ethan sighed.

I smiled at him ,reassuring, and hugged him, but soon pulled away as I smelled his sweat.

"See you tomorrow" I yelled as Ethan turned around and left my apartment.

I sighed and lay down on the couch. Ethan was a nice guy and I really loved him as a friend but marrying him? I almost have to throw up at the idea. But I couldn't turn him down. Our community decided whom I was going to marry, not me.

I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich as I think about I'm going to do with my day before going to babel. I decided to just walk around town and grab dinner somewhere.

It felt good to be alone and see all the people around Los Angeles. I saw all different kinds of people and that made me smile. At our community we were all the same. We worshipped God and our life was planned for when we were born to the day we die. And here everybody looked so open, like they felt loved and accepted for who they were and I, well I don't even know who I am.

The clock soon hit seven so I decided to grab some dinner. Right after that I went to babel. I thought showing up at eight would be right on time, but as soon as I arrived, I realized I was wrong. Really wrong. The bar was almost empty. There where only five people, including two employees.

"I believe I'm a bit early" I say as soon as Tyler's gaze is turned on me.

"It okay." Her smile gave me butterflies "I will give you something to drink. What do you want?"

"Uh, I don't know." I followed Tyler to the bar.

"Okay, I will just give you some sweet white wine."

"Sounds great."

"Oh my god, Tyler is this the lovely girl you were talking about?" I looked up to see a redheaded girl walking towards us, with a Hispanic boy following her.

"Yeah, this is Becca" her cheeks turn a bit red "and Becca this is my best friend Julia and her boy toy Romeo."

"Like Romeo and Juliet?" I smiled.

"More like Romeo and Julia" Tyler said "and let's hope they don't end up like them."

"Well, I'm okay with it as long as Romeo dies first and I can save myself." Julia grinned as her boyfriend tickled her.

"This drink is really good." I told Tyler and took the last sip.

"You want another one or try something new?"

"Something new" in our community alcohol isn't allowed so I wanted to try as many different thing as I could.

"Tequila it is" Tyler puts a glass in front of me.