Promise of the Future [Gladiolus] Day 3

"There's something you should know, in case I don't come back."

His gravelly voice rumbled into your eardrums, thawing the ice around your heart.

"W-What do you mean Gladio?" You questioned weakly, swearing to yourself not to have a breakdown in front of the cherished man that you loved secretly behind your aloof actions.

"I'm accompanying the prince to Altissia, where he'll wed Lunafreya." He informed, subconsciously rubbing the nape of his neck with a callous hand.

"But, why must you follow him on the dangerous journey there?"

"I'm the prince's shield, even though I hate being his bodyguard for his stubbornness." He stated with a gruff chuckle before connecting his hazel eyes with your own. They were practically shimmering with unrequited sadness. It hurt so much just to listen and hear the forced amusement tone in his baritone voice.

"So, couldn't another man somehow replace your job beside the prince?" You were running out of options and attempts from preventing him to leave.

"Not a chance. That spineless brat will need me to keep him in check." Gladiolus answered with a snigger, crossing his broad arms over his chiseled chest.

"Can't argue with that." You responded with a soft laugh, raising an index finger in agreement.

His determined eyes sparked with your own, unable to resist the words bubbling behind sealed lips. You wanted him to stay beside the brave man, always breaking into a series of ongoing laughs from his smartass and witty comments mentioned during random moments. Is it possible to love a man so buff and tough looking in appearance yet soft and caring within his heart?

"Gladiolus Amicitia, I can't do it. You don't have to leave me and your life behind. Just forget about this whole road trip you've got going on and stay." Your slender fingers wrapped around one of his muscled forearms. "With me. Noctis can hold on his own, without you. I...I can't."

You released an audible squeak as he yanked you roughly into his chest, wrapping his other arm around your waist. His coarse lips peppered your forehead, nuzzling his nose into your hair, inhaling your heavenly scent that caused his heart to beat a tenfold faster than normal.

"No more meddling with my life f-n. You know it's hard for me to accept the fact that I'm leaving you. I can't imagine losing the prince either." He said in a weakened tone, running a hand across your cheek.

"You'll learn to love another man."

"N-No! I refuse to watch my feelings for you evaporate into thin air. I love you Gladio..." You trailed off, cupping his cheeks, running your fingers across the braids twisted exquisitely into his hair.

"Don't remind me." He retorted, pressing his lips against your own briefly.

"Hey Gladio! Time to hitch up and get out of here." The prince's voice hollered from beside the car, cupping his hands over his mouth amplifying the volume of his calling.

"Can't a man get some privacy with his lady?" The brute shouted back with a mischievous grin.

"Promise, once I come back, you'll still be single."

"I promise on my very heart Amicitia." You answered automatically, crossing an invisible x over your heart.

"Good, cause my future bride only deserves the best man living on Eos." The male responded egotistical earning a whack in the head.

"Shut up. Get it on with your three boyfriends and enjoy the ride." You retaliated, shoving him downward towards the bottom steps of the Citadel.

Four silhouetted hands waved frantically through the tinted black windows of the Regalia, a quiet wolf whistle sounding from its inner regions. You swiped away the fugitive tears escaping their sockets, sniffling quietly into your hand as its twin waved goodbye. Not long before he'd return, finally to redeem his rightful ownership as your husband.