Prom

I put on my shoe and almost fell down the stairs. Kendal caught my arm and steadied me.
     "Yeah... face planting in that dress is dangerous."
     I smiled at her.
     "Thank you."
     We walked down the stairs to the foyer. My mom and Bennett's dad along with Bennett were standing there looking at us.
     "You two are so precious." My mother cooed.
     Bennett walked over to beside me and put his arm around my waist.
     "I'll escort you until you can get away from me. Then you can go to Mr. Hanes."
     "Thank you."
     "No problem."
     There was a knock at the door.
     "That should be Kyle." Kendal said fixing her dress.
My mom opened the door and Kyle walked in. He looked handsome. Well, as handsome as I would ever admit him as being.
"Ready?"
"Yes, we are. Let's go." She said walking over to him.
*****
The limo ride seemed longer than it should have, but it was a good thing our school wasn't far away.
Our gym once again was turned into a magical place, but with a small, broke school they didn't have many options. But I wasn't going to complain about it.
     "Who do you think is going to be prom king?" Bennett asked me.
     We were walking into the gym.
     "You."
     He smiled.
     "Prom queen?"
     "Lyla, hopefully."
"I hope so too."
     The dance started, and it was wonderful. Especially when I got to sneak away to be with Mr. Hanes halfway though the dance.
"I have to be back in time to announce the king and queen, again."
I opened the door to his class room.
"We will be back in plenty of time." I said, "now, Raymond, tell me something about you that I don't know."
"Well, I'm a military brat that was moved around since the time I was born, made and lost my best friend in about three years, and my fiancé dumped me. I think all my bases are covered." He said, "do you want to tell me about you?"
"My dad left almost three years ago, I don't have my dream car since he's gone, and my best friend is living with me. That's about it."
"That works for me."
I walked over to his desk and shoved everything off his desk except for his computer.
"You just made a huge mess that I'm going to have to clean-up."
I semi-gracefully jumped up on the desk in my dress.
"Come here."
He walked over and I pulled him closer by his tie.
"I hope you fully understand how many rules we're breaking. This is so illegal."
I rolled my eyes.
"Stop being a baby."
He smiled down at me and kissed me. He started to lean me farther back on the desk. Then we heard his phone go off. He stepped back and I sat-up.
"That's my cue. I have to go crown the prom queen and king."
"Okay, I'll be there in a minute, and please wipe your face. You have lipstick on it."
"Will do."
He wiped his face as he left the room. I looked at the mess on the floor.
Wow, my little desk clearing thing did make a big mess... oh well. It was worth it, and at least I'm not the one that has to clean it up.
I went to the bathroom that was down the hall to fix my make-up then I walked down stairs just in time to see them crown the king and queen.
"Your 2017 prom king is... Bennett Turner." Mr. Hanes said.
He placed the crown on Bennett's head.
"And now for this year's prom queen."
He paused for effect. Then stood in front of the microphone.
"Your 2017 prom queen is... Lyla Cunningham!"
     The whole room erupted into loud applause. Everyone wanted her to win. She deserved it so much more than anyone else in that room.
     She walked up the the stage crying happy tears, again. Mr. Hanes put the crown on her head and then looked across the gym at me.
"The king and queen will have their dance."
After the king and queen dance Lyla came up to me a hugged me.
     "Can I talk to you in the hallway?"
     "Sure."
     She took me outside to the hallway.
     "Thank you."
      "What are you thanking me for?"
     "For getting me elected prom and homecoming queen."
     "Lyla, I had nothing..."
     She looked at me.
     "The speech you helped me write for valedictorian speech for graduation. That helped me."
     "It was nothing." I said, "and you're the sweetheart that won it. You deserved it."
      "I still think you have something to do with it."
     "Alright." I said with a laugh, "If you say so."
Charles came over to us.
"I'm going to steal her, is that okay?"
"Anything for you."
"Thanks."
Lyla took his hand, and he led her back into the gym.
I stepped completely outside. It was somewhat of a bitter, biting cold, but warmer than it had been. I looked up at the full moon and thought about my last 3 and a half years of high school. Sure I knew everyone at my school, but that didn't mean everyone knew me. And I was happy with that. I didn't care if anyone else knew my name as long as Kendal was with me and Kyle was always by her side. I knew that everything would be okay.
"You're going to get cold."
I looked back at Mr. Hanes.
"I'm okay with being cold. I don't want to be in there anymore, and besides I like the stars."
"They are pretty, but nothing is better looking then you."
"I know I'm blushing, and it's all your fault."
"Your dress is beautiful." He said, "it really brings out your eyes."
"Flattery will get you nowhere."
"That's what you think."
He started to lean down to kiss me then he got a flashlight to the face.
"Oh come on."
"It's so wrong, but you are my best friend."
"Mr...."
"Devin, please." He said, "and I won't stay long. I just want to see what the two of you were doing."
"Not much." Mr. Hanes said, "we're just enjoying the dance."
"Carry on."
Devin walked away, and I looked up at him.
"So... your best friend."
"Yes, yes he is."
We could hear the music slow down in the gym.
"May I have this last dance?" He asked.
"I thought you would never ask."
We danced closely under the full moon. I had my head on his shoulder and he held me close. We stayed like that until the dance was over. It was probably the best night of my life so far.