Day nine: After school

Walking upstairs to his classroom was annoying. Kendal was behind me until she got a text from Kyle.
     "Go, leave me. I can handle him."
     "Okay, if you're sure."
      "Remember, we're leaving at four o'clock." I said, "just remember that."
     "Okay, I got it."
I nodded and walked into his classroom.
     "Mr. Hanes."
     He looked up with his red pen in his hand.
     "Yes, Miss Bailey?"
     "Can I help you grade?"
     He had a inquisitive look on his face. I don't think that he believed me when I said I wanted to help.
     "Yes, you can if you want to." He said, "just grade fairly and consistently."
     "Yes sir."
He handed me a stack, a red pen, and a grading scale.
"If you grade your own paper please grade it with accuracy and fairness."
"Yes sir."
We graded in silence until 3:50.
"Well, this was most positively entertaining, but I must be off."
I handed him his red pen and two stacks of what I did and did not grade.
"You're leaving?" He asked.
"Yes, Mr. Hanes, some people have lives."
      "I know." He said taking the papers, "then I'll see you tomorrow."
     "Are you coming to the football game?"
     "Um... I'll think about it." He said, "I mean unlike you I don't have a life. Being a teacher is my life right now."
"Well then hit the block, get the green mushroom, and come to the game." I said walking to the door, "besides, you would look good in white."
"Kate."
"Yeah?"
"Mario just grows in size after the green mushroom. He gets white overalls with a flower."
I looked at him for a minute. He was right, but I still felt pretty genius for remembering that much.
"See, this is why you need a life. Come to the game."
"Goodbye, Miss Bailey."
"Goodbye, Mr. Hanes."
I left his room and walked to my car. When I got there Kendal was in my car eating Kyle's face in the back seat. I opened the driver's door, got in, and then I smacked Kyle in the back of the head. He reared back from the impact to his head. He just sighed and looked out the window.
"You know I would say 'What the fuck was that for?' But since it's you I don't have to."
"You should know this by now. One more time, and I'm making you, Kendal Jones, walk to school."
"Sir yes sir." She said with a mock salute.
I rolled my eyes.
"Get out, now, Dick."
"Alright, I'm going."
     He got out of the back seat, and she moved to the passenger seat.
     "One word... My best friend."
     "You are a piece of work." I said putting my keys in the ignition.
    "But you love me!"
     "Yeah, I kind of don't have a choice in that matter."
     She was smiling and I pulled out of the parking lot, and I drove to her house. She looked at it, smiled again, and got out.
     "We might go to the football game just to do it."
     "I'll tell you the verdict tomorrow morning before I tell him."
     "Sounds good."
I watched to make sure that she got into her house safely then I drove home. When I got there my mom was cooking dinner. I slipped into the house, went to my room, and started on my homework. It was already almost 5:00 by the time I got home.
Surely he's not still at school...
Me:
How is grading?
I started to do my homework when he texted back.
Ray:
Good, I'm almost done. You made a one hundred.
Me:
Video questions are not hard.
Ray:
You would be surprised.
Me:
Probably not. Just think about the game. I'm getting in for free. You're going to have to pay.
Ray:
He really wants you back, doesn't he?
I thought about my answer. Sure he does, but... Giving him the time of day was not on my to do list.
     Me:
That is still undetermined, but it's up to you... Sorry to bother you, but I have to do homework, sorry.
     Ray:
No problem, I'll see you tomorrow.
     Me:
Alright.