Day one hundred: After school

It was a Monday, but we also only had eighty days left in the entire school year. Kendal was overly enthusiastic about it. She was so ready to put on her cap and gown and walk up to the stage and get her diploma... I mean who am I kidding? Every senior wanted that.
Also wrestling ended with a match in a county about an hour away a little while ago. Our school won hands down, and now baseball season was in full effect. My favorite time of the year to see Bennett.
     I sat on the bleachers looking out at the baseball team practicing. It was fascinating to watch... okay I couldn't keep my eyes on the ball, but who cares. It's not like anyone is noticing.
     "I saw that."
     Well, except for maybe Kendal.
     "Saw what?"
     "You shouldn't act innocent, Kate, I can see right though it."
I looked at her.
"I'm totally not looking at Bennett's butt." I said, "where did you get that from?"
"First, you just told me that you were doing it, and secondly, I just know you."
"Kendal..."
She just gave me a look. I shut-up and just looked out at the field.
     "You're doing it again."
     I turned around and looked at her.
     "Look, I'm dating him until I throw my hat into the air. So don't judge me."
     "Excuses, excuses."
      I know, believe me, I know.
*****
"You did good a practice." I told him as they exited the field.
"Thank you." He said, "I'm glad someone like my efforts."
He was looking at Kendal. I knew she was trying not to flip him off.
"Fred's?"
I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and just nodded instead.
"Alright, lets go."
*****
    The ride to Fred's seemed longer and more unbearable than usual. When we got in the parking lot he parked and turned off the engine. We sat there in silence for a moment.
     "Say it."
     "Say what?"
     "You know what, say it. Let it out. Get it off your chest."
     He looked at me and I looked at him.
     "You're right. I don't love you anymore." He said, "I'm in love with the idea of what you were."
     "Why does this sound like the revelation Gatsby should have had?"
     "Because, honesty Kate, that's what this year has felt like. I've been Gatsby trying to hold onto something that isn't there. That doesn't exist. You're Daisy. You're not completely in love with Tom anymore, but you still love the stability."
     "But I'm not married to Mr. Hanes and this is not Long Island, NY, and that part of your theory doesn't exactly work."
     He reached over and brushed his fingers gently down the side of me face.
     "Kate... no matter how hard you try. I will always feel like Gatsby. I just want you to know that."
      I just sat in the passenger seat of his midnight blue Jeep Wrangler in silence. I was reflecting on what he just said. While I sat there he got out of the car, and walked into Fred's.
     Damn it! Why did that have to be my favorite movie?