Day eighty-two

Two days away from Christmas break which was a few days away from the New Year that was sixteen days before my eighteenth birthday. Too bad Mr. Hanes and I didn't have two days.
*****Bennett*****
"This accusation better be 100% correct."
"It is. Why would I get an innocent teacher in trouble? Raymond Hanes is having an inappropriate relationship with a student here at the school."
      Principal Stewart looked at me for a second then stood. I stood after he did.
"Well, thank you, Bennett. You are dismissed."
I walked out of the office. I didn't want to hurt Kate, but at this point I was willing to do just about anything to keep her. Even if it meant destroying someone's lively hood.
****Kate*****
"You did what?!"
"I told principal Stewart."
"What the Fuck is wrong with you?"
     He got in my face.
     "Say that sentence like that again and I'm getting your mother involved."
I stopped talking.
Mother fucking asshole... I need to stop watching 'The Jersey Boys'.
"It needed to be done."
     That brought me back.
     "What could you possibly gain from doing this?"
     "You."
     He left without another word.
     Me?
*****
     "He said that it was so he could have me. To himself without Raymond in the picture."
     Okay, that's the lengthy version of what he said.
     Kendal looked at me from across the room.
     "So, what now?" She asked.
"Nothing. There is nothing I can do. Bennett is going to win. Bennett always wins."
     She gave me a hug, and what she said next changed everything.
     "My mother is dying."
     I froze and then stepped back.
     "Kendal..."
     "Her alcoholism is killing her. Even if she stops drinking they say it will kill her."
     "Is that why Tony came down?"
     She nodded her head, and she was trying to hold back tears.
     "He called me earlier today and told me that he called the paramedics, and they're at the hospital."
     "Kendal, why didn't you leave?"
     "I told him not to leave her because he would have to have came and gotten me, and I was hoping that you could take me this afternoon. I wanted to be here for you in case Bennett did something like this."
     "Kendal, I am not as important as your mother, and you know that I would do anything for you. I'll take you to the hospital this afternoon."
     "Thank you."
      "Don't worry about it."
*****
Since I didn't have my car because Bennett likes to be a 'good' boyfriend and take me school everyday. I had to take Kyle's truck while he was at wrestling practice.
     "Don't wreck it, scratch it, or dent it in any way, shape, or form." He said holding out the keys.
     "Okay." I said reaching for them.
     He held them back from me.
     "I mean it, Kate. Not even a scratch."
     "I completely understand, now, give me the keys. The faster I leave the faster I can come back."
     He looked at me one more time then handed me the keys.
     "Thank you."
     He didn't respond. He just went back into the gym. I don't really know why he was making such a big deal about it. He knows that I love his truck as much as he does and that nothing will happen.
     "Let's go, Kendal." I said unlocking his truck, "the faster I come back. The less he will act like his precious truck is going to break."
     That made her laugh.
     I started down the road to the hospital. She was abnormally quiet. I knew that she was running though things in her mind.
     "So, is Minnesota staying long?"
     "Well, he has taken a leave of absence form work to be here with me, and he has been out of school since the beginning of this week for Christmas break."
     "That's good. At least he can be here with you."
     "Yeah."
When I got to the hospital I pulled up to the drop off. She looked up at the building.
     "I'm so scared." She said, "She is going to die."
     "Kendal, you cannot think like that."
     She gave me a tight smile then opened the truck door.
"I'll tell you when the funeral is."
"Kendal, don't think like that. She will be okay."
"I hope so, but..."
Tony came to the door cutting her off. He helped her out of the truck
"Hi, Minnesota. How is she?"
"She's fine, enough." He said with a small smile, "I'll see you later."
"You bet."
*****Kyle*****
Kate came back into the gym and handed me my truck keys. I didn't say anything. I was really worried about Kendal. She takes things hard. She likes to act like her mother doesn't bother her, but I know it does.
     When I was first with her I was only with her because she's a tease. Now I love her, and I'm pretty sure I always will.
"Nothing? Really? You're not the least bit curious as to how Kendal is or how your truck is?"
     I just looked at her. Then I grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the room away from everyone.
     "How's Kendal's mother?"
     "You know as much as I know." I said, "which is basically nothing. Kendal thinks that she is going to die. Tony seems to be more optimistic."
     That's Kendal.
     "Thank you for taking her. I wanted to take her, but you know that I couldn't with this wrestling match going on."
     "I know, and she's my best friend. It's okay."
     I smiled at her. I like it when Kate and I can have a civil conversation. Screaming gets overrated.
     "Let's go." I told her.
*****Kate*****
We won all the matches, and Bennett took me to Fred's... Joy.
"Are you hungry?" He asked me.
"Not as hungry as you are." I said picking up my glass, "congratulations on winning the match. I hope your less successful in other areas."
That caught his attention. I acted like I didn't say anything.
"Like winning you over or ruining someone's life?"
"The latter." I said.
"Kate, just say it."
"You're an ass, and you know it."
"Maybe, I am, but I still love you."
"Maybe you do, but Linsey was down there." I said looking him dead in the eyes.
"How..."
"I heard her a while ago say that you got serviced out of that deal."
"That's what she wanted."
"Bull shit. I call bull shit. What did she really get out of it?"
"Having the one thing that she had been chasing since middle school, me, but I love you, Kate. I always have. You can say that you love him, but I will be your first love."
It was dead silent between us. It was so thick that you could cut it with a knife. I wasn't in love with Mr. Hanes, but I wasn't in love with Bennett either. Maybe it was time to look at it from both points of view.
*****
So, it's one day away from Christmas break and Mr. Hanes and I didn't have that time. It was all up to Principle Stewart.
What is going to happen? Is he going to lose his job? Am I going to be in trouble?
There was only one way to find out, and a lot Christmas break to worry about it.