Chapter 16- Not Your Typical Bride

Alice's POV

“Ouch!  Could you be a little more careful?”  I know I sound like a bitch, but you can’t really blame me.  Dimitri decided it would be a great idea for me to be introduced into society in Refuge City; meet all the socialites, power players, and boring political people like that.  Seeing as I’m going to be Xavier’s bride and all.

Yes, it’s official.  Just great of him to not mention that little complication until it is too late.  The bastard.  I don’t even want to think about having sex with him right now, even though just being in his proximity makes me all hot and flushed. 

I’ve been avoiding him for the past two days; too embarrassed to be in the same room with him before my cheeks start flushing.

So here I am, in just a bra and underwear, being poked and prodded by some of the best fashion designers in the business; a life sized Barbie.  I even look like one with all the makeup they slapped on me. 

One assistant holds a pale ivory dress up to my body, sizing it up. 

“Too washed out, don’t you think Clarice?” the woman asks my head designer.

“Yes, but keep more with the white.  You know, since she’s a bride and all.”

Please, don’t remind me.  Apparently it’s tradition for the bride to wear only white until she is married.  I only wear white, just white, nothing else of any color whatsoever. 

“How about she wears this one for the after party?”  The assistant holds up a short, skimpy white dress with a daringly low neckline and a pair of matching six inch heels.  I immediately shake my head no, but they ignore my protests. 

“It’s perfect!” another assistant squeals and claps excitedly; I balk at her.  Is she serious?  I’ll look like a hooker in that garish thing.

“Now we just need something to wear to the actual ball.  How about…” my designer pauses, tapping her cheek thoughtfully, then walks into the back room. 

“This is it, this is the one.”  She places a pale peach garment bag in my arms and unzips it briskly.  The material inside is all silk and a pure, soft white.  I close my eyes as she slips the light material over my body then laces it up in the back. 

It is beautiful, I’ll give her that.  It is floor length, with a small train and lace wrapping around the outside, crisscrossing in intricate patterns.

It is also unbelievably boring.  I can tell immediately that this is not the one.  It is pretty, gorgeous in fact, but it is too safe.  Too… plain for someone like me.

Plus, white just washes me out.

“It’ll have to do.  There’s nothing any white dress can do for this pale skin.”  She pinches my arm in a grandmotherly way, grinning at me.  “But you are so pretty.  It’s no wonder Prince Xavier chose you to be his bride.”  His bride.  I don’t like the title.  I’d rather be my own person, but at this point, all anyone cares about is what I’m wearing, not how I think.  I put it off my mind and shrug the dress off, letting it fall to the floor in a silken heap.  The assistants start twittering, angered at my mistreatment of the ‘priceless material.’