Chapter 4- The One Who Wants You

Alice's POV

I am so scared.  I don’t want to be a bride to one of these monsters.  At the sound of the door opening, I am startled out of my reverie.  Xavier walks in.

                “I know we got off to a bad start yesterday but—”

                “Cut the crap and just leave, will you.”  I turn my head to the side, staring at the opposite wall. 

                “Actually, I was wondering if you would accompany me to dinner.  You must be quite hungry.”  At the mention of food, my stomach gives a grumble, betraying my ravenous appetite. 

                “No, thank you.  But, no.”

                “Oh, I insist.  And so does your stomach.”  He nods toward my belly, and I cover it with my arms.

                “Find, but make it quick.”  I stomp out of the room, not waiting for Xavier to open the door.  Stepping outside in the hall, I see lots of other marked doors like mine.  It’s almost like a hotel, when you overlook the fact that the residents are unwilling to be here.  I wait for Xavier to come out and shut the door.  Then he strides down to the left of my room.  As I pass the rooms the numbers go down.  We walk down to room 50.  There is a pair doors marked DINING HALL in front of us. 

                “After you,” Xavier says, holding out the door for me.  Huh, I guess chivalry isn’t dead.  I step into the dining hall and see about 100 people eating in various tables around the room.  Most of them are Y’s, but scattered here and there are some women.  Human women, around the ages of 20 to 40.  They do not seem scared or threatened by the godlike men sitting around them.  In fact, the women interact easily with them, sharing food and laughing softly. 

                “What is this?” I gasp.  This is not how my father described it.  He had explained to me again and again how the Y’s abducted and mistreated women. 

                “This is our way of life.  Unlike the stories your leaders tell you, we do not abuse women.  We wish to live in peace with your humans.  However, the rest of the world does not see it that way.  So we have built our own little havens where we can be safe.”  I stare around the hall, feeling so out of place here.  His little sentiment does nothing to settle me. 

                I walk to a large table containing an assortment of foods.  Pasta, meats, breads, cheeses, fruits, and vegetables line the table.  There is nothing processed, however.  I frown.  This all feels too good to be true.  I load my plate with everything except the vegetables.  I then walk to one of the few empty tables and sit down, staring at my food as if it is poisoned.  For all I know, it probably is.

                “Why so glum, Sarah?  It honestly can’t be that bad, can it?”  Xavier sits next to me, and I slide my chair farther away from him.  I am glad I lied about my name, because I hate being any closer to this monster than I already am. 

                “Actually, it is that bad.  I have just been kidnapped, I am away from my father, and I will be forced to marry some alien species to produce little alien children.  So, all things considered, it is very, very bad.”