Chapter 12- Actions

Alice’s POV

                “… going to be alright, your Highness…”

                “… entrance and exit wound…”

                “…doctors have done everything they can.”

                “Not much to worry about…”

                “…should regain all movement of arm…”

                I catch snippets of each conversation as I resurface to consciousness then fall back again multiple times.  Each time, I try to stay awake a bit longer, but it is not possible.  One time when I wake up, I can hear a voice singing next to me, soft and low.  Almost unconsciously, I turn towards the singer, smiling a little at the soothing lyrics.

                They remind me of my mother singing. 

                I haven’t heard my mother sing in twelve years. 

                “Alice honey, get back here!” my mom Clarice shouts as I run off in the park, giggling madly.  I try to look back as I run, but end up tripping, sprawling over my tiny feet and landing with a plop on the soft green grass. 

                “Mommy!” I shriek, holding my arms out for her to pick me up.  As she bends over me, my mother’s hair falls forward in a blonde curtain, cutting us off from the outside world.  I did not notice it at the time, but her hair is streaked with grey, small age lines trekking across her face.

                “Yes honey?”

                “Oh mommy I forgot to tell you I loved you.”  My words are soft, voice still innocent. 

                Small tears escape from my mother’s green eyes and track down her face, so very like my own.  “Baby, you don’t have to tell me you love me.  I already know it.  I can see it every day I am with you.  And I will stay with you forever.  I promise.”

We got a call the next day.  I remember sitting in my high chair, coloring on a Disney Princess’ book with blue and pink crayons while my daddy paced across the kitchen floor in agitation. 

My father picked up the receiver.  My mom was supposed to be home two hours ago, yet I wasn’t worried.  I hadn’t yet been subject to the horrors haunting my world. 

It was my mom’s boss.  She had gone out for her lunch break and never come back.  My dad was worried at the time, but not extremely so.  He still had a little hope left.