Surprises ~ Aussienesia

"What's that?"

The young kingdom asked out of curiosity. Her fellow personification had been conspicuously hiding something from her the entire time he'd been there.

For the last few months, people from Makassar had been coming in boats. He and her people would trade for sea cucumbers and tobacco and any of the sort. Like the usual.

And for the last few months, Yolngu has grown fond of the girl that frequents his land. "It's a surprise!"

"How is it even a surprise when I already know that you're about to give me a surprise?" the girl retorted.

Behind his back was a necklace made out of pearls. He knew how Makassar simply loved pearls. "You have to close your eyes first!"

"That's easy!" a giggle erupted from her lips, making him nervous. She covered her eyes with both of her hands, a smile still visible on her face. "Now can you tell me what it is you're hiding?"

"Nope! Not yet!" Yolngu could feel the hot sand on his feet, something he'd gotten quite used to over the years. It has always been hot at his place, but his cheeks were even more—his cheeks were burning. "Not when you're peaking!"

"I am not peaking!" the Macassan defended. He decides to ignore this as he took a few steps towards her and placed the collection of pearls on her neck. Something heavy sat just above her chest. "What was that? Was it the thing you were hiding? I'm going to open my eyes now!"

The Macassan girl couldn't contain her excitement any longer.

"Go ahead." he watched her as she pulls her hands away from her face, looking down to see the surprise he was talking about.

Astonished, the tan girl grinned. "It's beautiful! I absolutely adore it!"

"Thank you," she said as she touched the pearls. "They look amazing."

"It's a necklace my boss gave me. I thought it would look perfect on you." the Yolngu boy with white paint all over his body said. He even begged for his boss to purchase the rather expensive item. Pearls don't come cheap at his place!

Both of them had been friends for quite a long time, so giving each other gifts wasn't really new to them. "It sort of reminded me of you, since you always come here for these."

"Well you're not the only one with a gift!" right beside her, a washed up raft served as a perfect hiding place for her presrnt. "Now it's your turn to close your eyes!"

The personification of the tribe did what he was told.

"Hold out your hands, but don't open your eyes yet." the Macassan, as promised, brought out hers. The boy could already guess what her gift was. He couldn't wait until he opens his eyes!

"Can I open my eyes now?" he asked and the Macassan hummed in response.

"It's a sword, and it comes with its very own charm!" Yolngu was too amazed by the careful crafting and how the sword was well made. "Do you like it?"

"I love it."

Blushing, the girl smiled. "We should always keep them close. As a symbol of our friendship."

* * * * * * * * * *

Makassar  = a city in Indonesia
Yolngu  = a tribe in Northern Australia

The Macassan, long before European settlements, is a big fishing industry that mostly fish for trepang, or sea cucumber. Their interest brought them to the North of Australia where they trade and fish for trepang.

This part is actually based on dinosaurusgede's works! I never really knew Aussie's name in precolonial times, so I sort of did some research on it.

Liked it? Well I've got good news for you! There's going to be a part two for this :D

So stay tuned!