Aftermath ~ Maria

“You’re independent now,”

     “I guess I really am.”

     “You’re a mess.” was all she wanted to hear from him. She didn’t want their pity, she just needed them to know she wasn’t okay. He sure as hell knows that alright.

     “Yeah.” she just wanted someone to patch her up, help her stand back on her feet again.

     “Let’s get you home.” he smiles at her. “It’s time.” already? The Filipina can’t help but smile too. She never knew she’d live to see this day. Not that she thought she was going to die without her independence, oh no, but she never thought she’d get to see this day.

     She was free.

     It was the day she was no longer under anyone. The very thought of it had her on edge. She was going to leave, leave him for her country. Was this it?

     She took in a sharp breath as she felt his arms around her waist. “What are you doing?”

     “I wish we could stay like this for a bit longer.” he murmured. She could feel tears pricking at her eyes, but she can’t let it get the best of her. She bit her lip.

     He pulls back as she faced him, his hands held her shoulders still. “It couldn’t hurt to stay, right?”

     “I might come over on weekends. Or if I get over the whole war thing.”

     “Thanks. Congratulations on your independence, you deserve it.”

     “So this is goodbye?”

     “I hope not.” he said.