The Forgotten ~ Emilio

They were the forgotten; the ghosts from the past, those who were erased from history, who hardly made it to the textbooks. It was as if the war never happened, as if the fight never existed.

Emilio felt this familiar pang in his heart, the weird sensation failed to make him feel anything anymore. He could remember months of torture, of being forced into hiding in fear of being captured by the enemy. He knew what would happen if they did catch them. He was one of the lucky ones. Not many survived from their little revolution.

They were promised freedom, but freedom comes at a price. They were betrayed; tricked into thinking that they would help. In the end, he and the superpower fought.

Victory was far from their reach. He could barely call it a draw. They were beat; cornered.

In the end, it was pointless. His resistance hardly lasted as they were taken and thrown behind the cold bars as prisoners of war. Some were subjected to torture so they could get their hands on some useful information to suppress their resistance.

He could see his men trying their best and doing all they can to free him from the grips of yet another colonizer, but to no avail. Their deaths, of course, weren't in vain.

What's the point? No one would remember anyway.

Does anyone still remember the time he killed and slaughtered my men? Surely, you don't either.