Chapter 19

Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes.

L I A M

It was finally the day I got to get a dog. Niccolo was still with us, much to Enzo's displeasure. I could walk without the crutches and Ortiz and Marco moved back to the living quarters once Ortiz was confident enough that he would be fine, Marco disagreeing.

"Liam, you ready?" He asked.

I nodded and smiled getting up and following him out of the room, though I could walk, my leg was still extremely sensitive and I couldn't walk down the stairs without help.

I took the hand Enzo offered so  he could help me get down the stairs.

We met Niccolo in the living room, Enzo tried to convince him to stay but I said it was fine if he came along.

We all piled into the car and drove to the nearest shelter which was at least an hour away.

"So what are you going to get?" Niccolo asked, breaking the awful silence that filled the car.

"I don't know yet." I answered.

"Shouldn't you know before you get there?"

"Niccolo," Enzo groaned, "Stop talking."

Niccolo sighed and we were quiet until we got to the shelter.

Enzo had called in advance so they had set up an area where we could look at all the puppies they had there or if we wanted an older dog they had selected some family friendly ones.

Niccolo naturally gravitated to the pin with puppies. He stepped over the small fence and sat down getting all the loving from the playful puppies.

There was a mix of labs to pit bulls to shepherds and also a few small dog breeds.

There was a black pit bull that was staying away from the rest of the puppies, crying to his or her self.

I stepped over the fence and slowly approached him. As soon as I carefully keeled down he shot over jumping in my lap and trying to lick my face, completely different from what he was like just a few seconds before.

I played with the puppy a while before he (I found out) passed out in my lap. Deciding I really loved that one over all the other energetic pups I looked over at Enzo, who hadn't stepped inside the fence yet.

"Is that the one you want?" He asked.

I nodded and the lady that helped us disappeared to go get the paperwork.

I stood up with the puppy in my hand and walked over to Enzo, "You don't like dogs do you?" I asked, smiling.

"They were never my favorite pet." He said.

"Well I don't have to get a dog." I said.

"No, it's fine." He smiled.

"Enzo!" Niccolo shouted, "This one looks like you." He laughed holding up a puppy that seemed to have a serious pout on his face.

I couldn't help but laugh, Enzo just rolled his eyes.

Just then the lady came back with paper work for the puppy, which he filled out. Once we were ready to go Niccolo sadly stepped out of the pin and waved goodbye to all of the puppies who yipped in return.

We went to a pet store after to get, Oliver (that's what I decided to call him), some toys, food, bowls, a bed, a collar, a leash and whatever else he needed.

While at the pet store Niccolo wouldn't leave the section with the bunnies, ferrets and hamsters.

"No," Enzo said before Niccolo could ask, "You're leaving soon, I don't want to have to take care of it when you leave."