Chapter 8

Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes.

L I A M

I was sitting in the living room, reading, when we got the unexpected visit.

I heard the door bell and thought about disappearing into my room but it could have been Ms. Summers with last minute confirmations, but it wasn't.

I saw Enzo's brother first, a smirk on his face as he strutted into the room. A few paces behind him I saw a man that resembled both Enzo and Niccolo in his facial and physical features.

He had dark hair and piercing eyes that were emotionless, much like Enzo's when he was working. He was wearing tailored suit much like the ones Enzo wore pretty much all the time. His face was flat and scary, with a scar running from the middle of his forehead past his right eye and to his defined jaw line.

I was suddenly wishing Enzo was here so I didn't have to face this man alone.

"Liam, this is, Osvaldo Di Mercurio, mine and Enzo's father." Niccolo informed me.

I didn't know what to say, I didn't know what to do. Do I stand? Do I go get Enzo? This was the man that put me here, he would probably do worse if I did or said the wrong thing.

Enzo was still on bed rest, he couldn't move with his stitches in and he wound still healing. He tried the day after, saying he would be fine, but as he sat up a few if the stitches ripped, putting him in even more pain and forcing me to learn how to stitch someone up. He had also managed to get sick so he had been running a fever and throwing up his guts the past two days, thankfully he hadn't thrown up that day and his fever was disappearing with the medicine I made him take.

"Enzo's upstairs if you'd like to see him." I said, standing up and putting my book on the side table. I could feel my heart start to speed up.

Even though I had gotten used to Enzo I wasn't ready to see his father, especially with his untrustworthy brother.

"Is he hurt?" Niccolo asked.

"Yes, he was stabbed when he went out two days ago." I said as steady as possible.

"Well please, lead the way." His father said, his voice was deep and powerful.

That was the first time I had heard him speak and it did nothing to sooth my nerves.

I turned and led them up the stairs and to his room. I took a deeo breath, "Can you just wait a second, please? I need to make sure he is presentable."

They nodded and I slipped into the room. Enzo still had the wet cloth I had put on his forehead that morning. It was an hour until noon then.

"Hey." He offered a tired smile. He had a thin layer of sweat on his face and his bare chest.

"How are you feeling?" I asked taking the cloth off of his forehead and re wetting it in the bathroom.

"Better." He said as I placed the rag on his forehead.

"Your father and brother are here." I sighed as I pulled the covers over his sweating body, trying to break the fever.

"What?" Enzo looked more awake.

"There right outside the door, waiting for me to let them in."

Enzo closed his eyes and let out a sigh, "Let them in." He said, opening his eyes.

I stood up and walked to the door opening it for them. They walked in and his father frowned, his brother cursed, "Signore. You look awful, Enzo."

He cracked a smiled, "I feel like I look."

"I won't bother you too long, figlio." Osvaldo said, "Niccolo," he said said with a heavy accent, "Liam, could you two give us some time alone?"

"Yes." We answered and walked out. I was nervous to be alone with his brother.

We got in the hallway and I really didn't want to talk to him but he didn't get the hint, "So, are you happy about the wedding?" He asked.

I shook my head, "No."

"And why not? My brother is a handsome, powerful man with money."

I finally looked at him, "I was put in this situation because of my parents awful gambling problems and I just resently found out about the wedding from you, would I have ever known if you wouldn't have told me?"

He looked at me before adding, "But you are so comfortable with Enzo, it seems like you might actually like him."

I paused, "Just because I'm comfortable around Enzo and might possible care for him, doesn't mean I want to marry him, I just met him."

We were silent until his father walked out, "It was very lovely meeting you, Liam." He held out his hand which I hesitated taking, "Unfortunately, I must go, I will see you next on you wedding day, in one week time." He said and turned to walk down stairs.

"He's my ride," Niccolo said, "I'll see you later, Liam." He turned to follow his father.

I stood there until I heard the faint sound of the door being closed behind them, then I darted into Enzo's room.

I let out a sigh as I sank into the chair he had in the corner of his room.

"I'm sorry they showed up randomly, especially my father. I know you were panicking in his presence, I'm sorry I wasn't down there with you." Enzo said.

I looked at him, "It's fine, you can't move and you're sick."

That reminded me, I had to change Enzo's bandages.

I got up and pulled the covers back, exposing his necked chest and wrapped up mid section.

I peeled away the bandages and cleaned the wound with antibacterial before adding clean bandages. I handed him medicine for his fever and he shook his head.

"I don't need anymore, the fever can go away on it's own now." Enzo wasn't a big fan of medicine.

I sighed and disposed of the antibiotic.

"Get some rest, don't remove the covers." I said and got up to go into the living room and finish my book.

"Thank you." Enzo said, sounding tired.

I nodded, "Your welcome." I said before walking out and going to the living room to finish my book and eat.