Chapter 16

This is Marco and Ortiz's chapter. Thank you nindita88 for the chapter idea!

Sorry for the spelling and grammar mistakes.

O R T I Z

It was three years ago when Marco and I met. Enzo wasn't the boss yet, it was still his father Osvaldo who was in charge.

I was roaming the streets, just out of the military as a marine after serving for four years before being dishonorably discharged because I nearly beat one of my platoon members to death for trying to assault me because he blamed my best friend's death on me.

Daniel was his name, my friend. He was a positive guy, even in the heart of a war. We instantly became friends and even spent time together when we got to come back to America before being called back out again.

We were out on a normal patrol, I had just done a sweep of the area and we were walking through when Danny stepped on an IED. He stood perfectly still, careful not to trip it. I yelled for our bomb defusal guy but we weren't fast enough. There was word of people coming so Daniel yelled at us to back up.

I refused to give up on him that easily but the leader of our patrol group pulled me back and once we were far enough away he stepped off of the bomb. I watched my one and only friend get blown to bits in front of me and it had all been my fault, because if I would have done a better sweep of the area, he wouldn't have stepped on the bomb.

My parents disowned me for it so I had no place to go. I had been living on the streets for a year when Osvaldo stopped me before I did something stupid that would have landed me in jail.

"You don't really want to rot away in prison for the rest of your life do you, Ortiz?" He asked me.

"How the hell do you now my name?" I asked.

"I know everything about you, how you served the United States military for four years before you were dishonorably discharged for attempted murder, but served no jail time. You're incredibly talented and skilled, I'm here to offer you a job."

I know I had looked at him like he was crazy, I thought he was working for the government but then he told me what the job entitled and what he was.

"I respect your skills and hope you will accept my offer to work as a guard. You have nothing more to lose and I know you can be trusted working for me. A place to stay is provided, so are your meals and clothes. All you have to do is work for me."

"What do you do?" I asked seriously considering it, I hadn't been in an air conditioned or heated building in a year and I hadn't had a proper meal or clothes without holes in them for a while.

"Business." He offered unconvincingly.

I narrowed my eyes at him, "So you need me as a guard?"

"Yes, my line of work is risky and I need people to protect me and my family."

"How many people do you need exactly?" I questioned.

"That doesn't concern you, just know that this is your only chance to get off of the street for good." He said.

He was right before, I had nothing to lose, "Okay, I'll work for you."

"I'm happy to hear that. Just know that once your in, there's no getting out. Someone will be by to pick you up in one hour." He said, walking away before I could ask anymore questions.

In exactly one hour someone pulled up in a black car and taped my mouth shut, put a black, cloth bag over my head before tying my hands and putting me in the car.